23, Licensed, Need Advice

aj22

I'm 23 years old, highly motivated and a quick learner located in Georgia. I accepted a position as a Team Member at a local SF agency due to the recommendation of a friend (rethinking that friendship.)

My job is to generate new business, which would be nice if I had a marketing budget or training to prospect, but neither of those are being offered. There isn't even an infrastructure on what I should be doing. It was very much a "Here's what I want you to do, figure it out" kind of position. I could deal with paying for marketing if I got renewals, but seeing as I don't get that or even the full commission, I'm losing interest quickly.

I know I want to be an IA in 2-3 years, focusing on P/C with a little term life to cover mortgages, loans, buyouts, etc.

If you were in my position, what would you do? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Find another agency.

Right or wrong, you have decided you are not going to succeed there. So guess what? You won't succeed there.

That said, you aren't going to succeed. You need some training on how to prospect, even if it is just working leads. You need to know how to work a lead. Also, with reduced FYC and no renewal, you have little incentive to spend money prospecting. The agent has pretty much set you up to fail. Hopefully the agent isn't your friend? If he isn't, then perhaps your friend just wasn't aware of the lack of support you'd receive from the SF agent.

Seems like a good fit for Liberty Mutual.

They will train you, pay you a salary, pay comm, and bonus. For this you give up renewals and ownership. However since you are looking to branch off that should not be an issue.

Back