9 Good Reasons To Operate A Insurance Sales Call Center:

I hear ya Rick and I appreciate your comments.

1) Remax has training for their agents I assure you.

2) Our agents "bring in" and "manage" their own clients. They buy leads from us or other vendors - we don't "provide" them.

3) Training? So - if an agent attends a Golden Rule Webinar they are to be considered "employees" of Golden Rule?

Again - the agent receives compensation from their respective insurance carriers - not us or the Sales Center Operator. In addition - the carriers issue the agent a 1099 - not us or the Sales Center Operator.

Basically - the agent pays a weekly lease fee to enjoy the amenities of the Sales Center. Should this same agent produce certain business volume through certain carriers - then this lease fee can be rebated.

In addition - leads are purchased by the agent from whatever sources they wish. There is no requirement to purchase exclusively through any particular vendor.

Just think of the Insurance Sales Center as a business model compared to Executive Suites: Furnished Executive Suites, Serviced Office Suite & Virtual Offices

By the way - I'm thinking of titling the concept as:

Insurance Sales Center -vs- Insurance Call Center - comments appreciated.

Tom

p.s. - ok STI - happy? If i want to "quote" multiple responses in the same reply - how do I do that?

There are some working models of this but with differences. For example, Remax agents are contractors however they have an office - they rent space from Remax and also have to pay for extras.

However, Remax plus the beautician shop model (and I just called my CPA to check on this) are based on the fact that they bring in and manage their own clients. There is also the "training test" meaning those businesses do not train their contractors. They come in and work.

This would not be the case with the call center idea where leads, ie; clients will be provided by the call center. When I ran this idea past my CPA just now he said there's not even any gray area - it's an employee situation.

I replied with "but this guy apparently checked with his CPA who said it was fine." His reply? "tell him to fire his CPA since he doesn't know what he's talking about."

Basically - the agent pays a weekly lease fee to enjoy the amenities of the Sales Center. Should this same agent produce certain business volume through certain carriers - then this lease fee can be rebated.

Just think of the Insurance Sales Center as a business model compared to Executive Suites: Furnished Executive Suites, Serviced Office Suite & Virtual Offices

You know, this is not a bad concept for the agents who have a hard time working (and getting motivated) from home, for whatever reason that may be. See the "lonely" post on the forum for proof of that.

This is fine but I assure you a reality check is needed.

You are looking for 100% independent agents to pay you money so they can drive to work - purchase their own leads, manage their own business.

It won't take them 10 seconds to figure out they can do the same thing from home, cut you out and make a hell of a lot more money.

Turn-over will be massive. Most agent cannot write business regardless of how many leads you give them. Solid agents who can indeed write aren't gonna pay you to drive into an office.

While there are indeed some great ideas, this is not one of them.

To address the "person falling out of the chair" - thus the reasoning for having General Liability insurance. ( note to self - get P&C license )

General liability? Probably not. If you get a P&C license, you will find out that a contractor falling out of a chair is not covered under general liability, unless you supplied the chair and the chair broke. Even then, it may not be covered, if the person should be covered under workmans comp.

To be safe, I would present a model where the agents are commissioned employees. I actually think a licensed agent can be an independant contractor, if they have freedom to work beyond your control, appoint with other carriers, write business outside of the scope of this agreement, and the freedom to set their own hours (i.e., won't be terminated for not showing up), and the contract is for a finite time. For instance, you can have a contractor come in for 90 days, even if they fail a few other tests, because of the limited time (basically, temp help type of thing). When I worked in the corporate world, we did this frequently, with contracts being extended. The person had to provide proof they were a separate business though (i.e., their own business license, work for others, etc).

Dan

#1 - You are looking for 100% independent agents to pay you money so they can drive to work - purchase their own leads, manage their own business.

#2 - It won't take them 10 seconds to figure out they can do the same thing from home, cut you out and make a hell of a lot more money.

#3 - Turn-over will be massive. Most agent cannot write business regardless of how many leads you give them. Solid agents who can indeed write aren't gonna pay you to drive into an office.

#1 - Only those that see the big picture. We'll offer a motivated business environment, pre-qualified leads and someone to turn to help close deals if necessary.

#2 - Yes - as noted in previous posts - we project that. However - some people need structure and the warm fuzzy of belonging on a team.

#3 - see #2.

My thoughts on it are - Some Will - Some Won't - Next!

What is September's idea insurebiz? Are you going to jump back into MA's in November? "Santa Calls Sales Center" in December?

LOL - I understand your point. I am "quick" to change my marketing strategy to what works for me. But - I'm on board with health and life - 100%. I'm going to work the Insurance Sales Center concept and still recruit Indy's that want to work from home. I have the energy to do both, and believe it will produce great results provided that I surround myself with experienced people. I have assembled a strong team!

Tom

You are looking for 100% independent agents to pay you money so they can drive to work - purchase their own leads, manage their own business.

It won't take them 10 seconds to figure out they can do the same thing from home, cut you out and make a hell of a lot more money.

Broke people are not going to pay you money.

They have no money for leads, equipment and expense.

I also stand firm on my comments that the IRS will not like this. The comparison to Real Estate is truly far different. Transactions are taking place off site and this is not the same scenerio by any stretch.

Real estate can stand the 1099 test - and insurance call center this is difficult , and in my opinion virtually impossible to pull off for a variety of reasons as mentioned.

Back