9 Out of 10 Uninsured Americans.....

kgmom219

What's Next?
5000 Post Club
Texas
That’s also the conclusion of a survey from the Kaiser Family Foundation, which found that nine out of ten uninsured Americans are unaware that open enrollment for individual plans starts in November. Some two-thirds of uninsured respondents said they know “only a little” or “nothing at all” about the law. More than half of the uninsured people said they had no idea that federal subsidies were available to help make coverage more affordable.

Obamacare Could Face Large Numbers of Dropouts | The Fiscal Times

That Bankrate report is very badly referenced. Is the editor asleep?

"53 percent of current Obamacare enrollees who signed up through the exchanges said they would not be enrolling for 2015. Their reason--“much higher prices for health plans.”

Bank rate report says 51%, not 53%. 53% is the number of <$30,000 earners that ARE planning on coming back. Fear of higher prices was not given as a reason, anywhere, for those not coming back (in fact, no reasons at all were given on that population). Rising prices were listed as a top "dread", at 43%, just above the 21% taken by the loading icon.

It might be nitpicking, but is it too much to ask to accurately cite a report and not change figures or make assumptions?

Can the perpetually oblivious ever be reached? Health insurance is not on their radar and won't be until they are in the ER - if even then. But it's still surprising that this survey says 9 out of 10 are so uninformed and not, say, 5 out of 10.

I imagine you could sit face-to-face with one of these people in a room with no distractions, and your message about their need for health insurance still wouldn't register. Mention the term "federal subsidies" and their eyes glaze over. And most of them will be exempt from paying the penalty, anyway.

According to the CBO: Almost 90% of the 30 plus million Americans without insurance will not pay the penalty for not having insurance in 2016, mostly due to exemptions.

ObamaCare Individual Mandate

Can the perpetually oblivious ever be reached? Health insurance is not on their radar and won't be until they are in the ER - if even then. But it's still surprising that this survey says 9 out of 10 are so uninformed and not, say, 5 out of 10.

I imagine you could sit face-to-face with one of these people in a room with no distractions, and your message about their need for health insurance still wouldn't register. Mention the term "federal subsidies" and their eyes glaze over. And most of them will be exempt from paying the penalty, anyway.

According to the CBO: Almost 90% of the 30 plus million Americans without insurance will not pay the penalty for not having insurance in 2016, mostly due to exemptions.

ObamaCare Individual Mandate

Cannot fix stupid with some folks. Cut their noses to spite their own face.

Wondering how many in those numbers need sticky note reminders whether their cousin is their sister/brother?

Cannot fix stupid with some folks. Cut their noses to spite their own face.

Wondering how many in those numbers need sticky note reminders whether their cousin is their sister/brother?

1-29-2015
The Kaiser follow-up survey essentially says that most who are still without health insurance really don't care enough to make it a priority in their life.

REF: Cost keeps uninsured from enrolling in Obamacare, even if they qualified for aid - Jan. 29, 2015

Perhaps watering down the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Legislation/EMTALA/index.html?redirect=/EMTALA/ will incentivize them to get covered?
ac

oh, look who was the post before yours allen.... heheheheheh....waf

Yah Kenny has a crystal ball like yours Tater. He knew the Kaiser results b4 they were published. That's why I responded to his accurate prognostication with confirmation.

Yah Kenny has a crystal ball like yours Tater. He knew the Kaiser results b4 they were published. That's why I responded to his accurate prognostication with confirmation.

Tater's crystal ball must have been out for repairs considering my post was from 2+ months ago...

2-15-2015

The people who contacted me near the end of this open enrollment were strange.. to put it mildly. They're just like the people in this article, Open enrollment for 2015 Obamacare plan ends except for people on Medicaid | Chicago and coincidentally, also live in Chicago.

Is anyone else being contacted by a larger number of "dim" prospects at the end of this 2015 O.E., vs what you experienced near the end of 2014 O.E.?
ac

Some of the strangest discussions that I've ever had with clients took place in the last two weeks. I had two that were calling me repeatedly to discuss health insurance but never purchasing.

I had one that has no health insurance for a family of five, but wouldn't pull the trigger on buying a plan with a 60% subsidy, yet he gave me business advice because he is doing so well. He kept me on the phone for an hour on two separate occasions pounding his chest. He told me that he didn't want health insurance to mess up his relationship with this Doctor?? I couldn't even begin to answer him, because the remark was so stupid. I spoke to his wife several times (all inbound calls), and she told me of her multiple health problems and the children had issues as well.

I have more stories, but I'll save them for another time.

Back