9 Out of 10 Uninsured Americans.....

Some of the strangest discussions that I've ever had with clients took place in the last two weeks. I had two that were calling me repeatedly to discuss health insurance but never purchasing.

I had one that has no health insurance for a family of five, but wouldn't pull the trigger on buying a plan with a 60% subsidy, yet he gave me business advice because he is doing so well. He kept me on the phone for an hour on two separate occasions pounding his chest. He told me that he didn't want health insurance to mess up his relationship with this Doctor?? I couldn't even begin to answer him, because the remark was so stupid. I spoke to his wife several times (all inbound calls), and she told me of her multiple health problems and the children had issues as well.

I have more stories, but I'll save them for another time.

All you can do with people like that is just agree with everything they say, I did and then get them off the phone. Yes, I had many this past week that would not pull the trigger after going through the subsidy app and even had two that would not receive and kept saying they would do it tomorrow, well tomorrow to my knowledge never came at least with me.

All you can do with people like that is just agree with everything they say, I did and then get them off the phone. Yes, I had many this past week that would not pull the trigger after going through the subsidy app and even had two that would not receive and kept saying they would do it tomorrow, well tomorrow to my knowledge never came at least with me.

I also had many of these who hounded me over the last 2 weeks and asked for multiple configurations - whole family, just the husband & 2 kids, then everyone separate, etc. Then they didn't do anything. Some people I just began to ignore - I told them when the final day of enrollment was & if they didn't call me, I certainly didn't follow up. . . . big headache.

Of course, these are the same ones that will probably call this week, saying they have made a decision . . . . .:goofy:

Yes, I had many this past week that would not pull the trigger after going through the subsidy app

That was my experience, I was referring to the applicants that had completed a subsidy app but did not select a plan.

There was a thread of similarity in those that didn't come back and complete the app. They were all 45 or older and had not had insurance for a long time. They wanted to discuss the plans more than anyone else. Last but not least, they all had known health problems.

Not sure of the pretended reasoning in all cases, but it seems that they had "gotten by" without paying a premium for so long that they weren't going to start now.

Somarco used to say that he would hang up on people that told him they hadn't had health insurance for more than 90 days as a way to keep from wasting time. It would have been a better strategy for me this year.

and then there are the ones who enroll but do not pay their $10-$50 premium... We had one who said she did not have the money to pay the $62 after subsidy premium... kicker was in the same conversation she was bragging about the new tattoo she had just gotten... Yeah... priorities

obamatat-500x622.jpg

Sadly, in my previous career as a p/c guy, had one client refuse a $30/month term policy on the fact that his wife was just laid off and he was the only income now.

Two weeks later he comes in wanting to insure his $26k bass boat he bought. He talked about how great a deal he got and how he wasn't sure where he would store his first bass boat...

I gather his wife doesn't care much for fishing. Wonder how she feels about the life insurance he rejected?

I also had many of these who hounded me over the last 2 weeks and asked for multiple configurations - whole family, just the husband & 2 kids, then everyone separate, etc. Then they didn't do anything. Some people I just began to ignore - I told them when the final day of enrollment was & if they didn't call me, I certainly didn't follow up. . . . big headache.

Of course, these are the same ones that will probably call this week, saying they have made a decision . . . . .:goofy:

Had guy come into office yesterday and said he wanted to go ahead an purchase an obamacare policy because he had just completed his taxes and had to pay penalty for last year. I asked him if he tried over the weekend and could not get through and he said no, but he had just heard on the radio that the oep had been extended, I explained and he was mad. Then it came to light that he was offered group at work for $200 per month. His income was $40,000 and 58 years old. I ran a quote for the bronze HSA, $467 per month so he decided to see if he could get on his group.

I have had some call the last few months from people doing the same thing. Considering going on the group plan but wanted to check some prices first.

Of course they wanted rates for the entire family, spouse and kids, or kids only.

I sent them to my website and suggested they call back if they had questions.

Back