A Health Insurance Exchange Will End Broker Based IFP?

What would happen is carriers like World, Imerica, Assurant, etc...would issue GI plans with a much higher OOP and fewer benefits and still advance commissions and pay more than carriers with more name recognition.

There could be some of that but there is no doubt that Obama and the feds intend to carrot and stick people into their approved plans while also pretending that they have free market choice.

So for example, yes, you could go over to the GI XYZ Plan with a higher OOP and fewer benefits and theoretically get into a more affordable plan. Then you do the math and find that if you go into one of Obama's "creditable" (health exchange approved/whatever) plans you can get the subsidy or tax credit for it and end out with more benefits and lower out of pocket for the same monthly outlay when you calculate in the subsidies. Which one you going to go with? But the government says it is not forcing you and you can still go with all those other free market alternatives if you wish. Could happen.

I think if the republicans were in power, which they of course are not, they would go for the subsidy/tax credit piece but just tell people to go out in the market and apply it where they want as long as they can demonstrate that it was spent on health insurance. Such a plan could also be implemented overnight without any bureaucracy. If something major blows up with the democrats approach I suppose the idea could gain some ground again, but so far they are on a roll. However, the economic crisis is still pending and who knows what people will be willing to bite off if it gets worse, including state bailouts. As stated, I would go with Plan B first and then look at Obama's Plan A down the road rather than versa vice. I was not elected as President though unlike Obama. I am however a natural born U.S. Citizen.
:):)

Last edited:
I will remind you that Mega has been chugging along just fine since 1986 selling higher priced plans that offer less coverage.

Unless we go universal, which we won't, a lot of companies will turn "pseudo Mega."

I will remind you that Mega has been chugging along just fine since 1986 selling higher priced plans that offer less coverage.

Unless we go universal, which we won't, a lot of companies will turn "pseudo Mega."

Okay. As I said "there could be some of that" but I think the trend will be toward people looking for lower priced plans with adequate coverage where they have the wherewithall to do so. If they don't. Then there lies a mega sale.

Also, I will remind you that many of the mega sales are made to people who do not know where else to turn or they are approached by a mega agent who "informs" them of the benefits of their plan and they have no basis for comparison. The whole purpose of the health exchange so-called is to give people a place to turn to find a basic plan that is government blessed. Probably some people will still go elsewhere based on some trip they are on. I dont think it will control the direction of the industry though, and I think Obama's actions will. A lot of companies may go "pseudo-mega" as you say, just as a lot auto makers carried on with the only market that they knew for as long as they could.

I really don't know about any other states, but here in my own state, we have the perfect scenario that the gov't should copy. All carriers are competitive, and BCBS is designated by the state as the GI carrier. Their rates are based strictly on age and they actually have good plans. Yes, their commissions are terrible, 2% on uninsurables, but they also pay 15% on healthy. The other carriers pay the same as they do in every state, and even though BCBS has slightly higher rates for the healthy, they still hold the lion's share of business.
The problem is solved here, competitive pricing, and options for everyone.
60 year old diabetic with cancer gets a $1,000 ded + $2,500 max OOP coinsurance with dental for about $650

Interesting. There is no mention of who will market the plans, or if that will be left to each state.

Also, there's a mention of not paying with taxpayer dollars. I will be keeping that article for an "I told you so" later when it needs a bailout.

As Robert Ringer- the sage of libertarianism would say.

The government is the only competitor you cant beat beacause they play with guns and coersion.

What the end product will look like is anyone's guess and tying to figure it our conclusively without inside information is an exercise in futility.

What the end product will look like is anyone's guess and tying to figure it our conclusively without inside information is an exercise in futility.

Heck, trying to figure it out even WITH inside information is an exercise in futility...... but hey, its fun :)

It's even more fun when you have no idea what you are talking about and just make up random numbers and claim them as facts.... oh wait, you have to be a politician to do that.

Dan

The latest propoganda

Health care reform: Getting it done right

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia (BCBSGa) is part of the leading health benefits company in the United States in terms of medical membership, and we are committed to helping to improve the health of our communities. We believe we have an important role to play in responsible health care reform: to advance strategies that improve quality, which can help better manage costs and put America on a sustainable path to covering everyone.

Our policy platform for health care reform is built on three fundamental goals:
  • Build on what works - helping to improve quality and manage costs by making sure members are getting the right coverage at the right place at the right time.
  • Fix what's broken - cover the uninsured.
  • Work alongside others in the industry, government, employers and the medical community to build a health care system that is accessible to all and provides quality benefits for those who need it most
When it comes to health care reform, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia believes we should not just get it done - we believe in getting it done right.For an in-depth discussion about some of BCBSGa's plans for responsible health care reform, see the attached Building a Sustainable Health Care System Overviewor the complete Building a Sustainable Health Care System PlatformIf you have questions, visit our website at bcbsga.com or contact your BCBSGa Sales Representative

Last edited:
America needs a government run health care system - if those that make less pay less and those that make more pay more.

I'm in . . .

Tom

Back