A State Farm Job. Should I Take It ?

Cost of living less in CA then OK ?

If you are concerned about the salary and benefits look at liberty mutual they have a pretty good comp plan and you won't have one agent dictating everything.

Isn't that pay kind of low? The newer State Farm agents around here pay better than that and the cost of living is quite a bit less than CA.

You won't be working for State Farm. You will be working for the agent. You may or may not ever get benefits.

Nah, that's about right.

I hate being micromanaged and i have a feeling this agent will do exactly that. I will not be getting any benefits. I am appointed with a few companies like i said, but didnt survive as an independent.

I hate being micromanaged and i have a feeling this agent will do exactly that. I will not be getting any benefits. I am appointed with a few companies like i said, but didnt survive as an independent.

Not meaning to be overly harsh, but if you didn't make it as an independent agent, you probably do need to be managed.

Yes, they're going to want to manage you, but they're also going to guarantee that you'll be making money.

If you don't want to be managed, keep doing it yourself. Although, that doesn't sound like it has been particularly successful for you so far.

OR

You could try something new, such as being micromanaged by a SF agent. The fact that a draw scares you away from another agency suggests that you have little confidence in your sales skills. You probably need all the management attention you can get right now.

While my sales skills need sharpening no doubt, I dont mind being managed. Theres a difference between being micro managed vs managed. After all thats been said here, I would still like to get the inside scoop on whats it like working for a state farm agent, but it seems like therer are no staff who use this forum!

While my sales skills need sharpening no doubt, I dont mind being managed. Theres a difference between being micro managed vs managed. After all thats been said here, I would still like to get the inside scoop on whats it like working for a state farm agent, but it seems like therer are no staff who use this forum!

Although I have not worked at a State Farm agency, I have interviewed with several State Farm agencies over the course of my career. Working for any agent will be a unique experience.

If you need a pay check, take the State Farm job. A new agent won't be able to teach you much about the business or sales. The agent is already churning staff, and unless you hit your sales numbers, you'll be out the door, too. You need to know why you will succeed where others failed. However, if you do fail, and you want a job as a CSR, you may be able to get hired at another State Farm agency, once you have some State Farm experience.

If you read the threads about State Farm agency opportunities, I think you'll decide trying to be a State Farm agency owner is not for you, if you can make it through the laborious process to get an offer.

It sounds like life insurance sales are not for you, but you may want to try auto insurance sales for Freeway insurance. Selling auto insurance is easier than selling life insurance. Working for an experienced indy agency will give you the option to sell for multiple companies, and learn the business, if management will teach you. How are they expecting you to market? Cold calling? Will they provide you with leads? Don't take a job with a commission draw unless you are confident you'll make sales.

Also, you need to be honest with yourself about your skill set and comfort level with sales. Will you hate spending 8 hours a day prospecting for clients? Why did your indy life business fail? What is it about this work you enjoy? Why do you think you will be successful?

Each office is going to run a little different, but it's a job. You'll show up, do work, get paid, go home. What "inside scoop" insights are you looking for?

A good friend of mine is a SF agent. We graduated high school together, our kids go to the same school and play on the same soccer team. I'm in his office usually a couple of times per week. He hires hot chicks. One comes in late every day because she waits until her kid catches the bus for school. She takes shorter lunches to make up for it. They all can pretty much come and go as these please, going to the bank, leaving to pay bills or whatever. He buys them lunch often.

Another SF agent that recently retired in my city let his office girls brings their kids in to work with them so they didn't pay for daycare. They had a back office made into a play room. They were there until they were old enough to go to school, then after school and all summer long. Of course this guy was well established (very old school) and didn't care. He actually was rarely at his office. He spent most of his time on the golf course. I don't think he actively went after new business the last 10 years he was open.

Then there is another newer guy in my town that is a total a$$hole. He's basically a used car salesman with a producers license. The other agents can't stand him and his staff is basically using him for experience. He struggles compared to the other SF guys in the area and doesn't understand why he can't get good help.

So basically, it's going to vary by the agent.

FullAuto, the first guy sounds like a genius. Second guy probably went too far, but then he didn't care as he was getting paid to play golf. The third guy sounds like a complete ***. Although it probably isn't completely the new guy's fault. If you read about the pressure that management puts on the new agents and how crappy their contract is, it isn't surprising they take it out on the staff.

Back