Adding financial services

1manshow

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pa
Curious if anyone would be willing to share the process with me regarding contracting with building a financial services practice along side of my Insurance agency? Anyone who's seen this process happen or has knowledge of starting a financial services practice from ground zero. My guy is a young professional with plenty of potential and connections in the community so the leads,etc aren't a concern. It's the licensing, broker dealer, designations, etc that I need to work through.

Depends on what and how you want to offer it.

If you want to offer securities on a commission basis, you'd need to get registered with a broker/dealer and get the appropriate licenses - Series 6 or 7, and series 63.

If you want to offer asset management services on a fee-basis, you'd need a Series 65 and either create or get registered with an RIA firm.

If you want to do both, you'll want to start by finding the broker/dealer. They'll have an RIA to do your fee-based business with.

Just be aware that broker/dealers need to know about all your Outside Business Activities - including selling insurance. They may even require you to put that business through their commission grids.

Thank you....not a chance of running seven figures of commission through their grids on my dime. So....form a new corp and start from scratch? That'd be my plan if the broker dealer is firm on scalping my insurance commissions

If you want the greatest control, I'd stick only to the RIA business model - whether you start your own, or become registered through someone else's.

It's the broker/dealer model (and compliance) that is over-burdensome.

Back