Advice for prospective CFP

newbieCFP

Hi All,

I am a 2nd year business major with the intentions to go for a concentration in MIS. Then came coronavirus, the market drop, and riots. Because of this, I quickly became interested in becoming a financial planner or advisor (same thing kinda?) to help people who wouldn’t seek help, and help them be financially sound during tough times.

I haven’t took a Finance course but I have been learning online about the stock market, requirements for CFP jobs, which really had made me confused.
So I end with this, with all of your guy’s knowledge, what books, licenses, anything, do you recommend I do to learn as much as possible going into a Financial Planning track.
What do you suggest I know going into the industry?
What is the best track to getting a job in the industry?

anything helps, really appreciate your help and time, thank you!

Honestly I would first take a few finance, accounting, and marketing courses.

At the same time I would start really reading some financial news sources: Wall Street Journal, Kiplingers, etc.
I have taken the undergrad courses such as personal and managerial accounting, micro and macroecon. Forgot to add those sorry.
I will continue reading financial journals though, thank you!!

1. This is a sales business - NOT a "job". Never forget that. Make your decisions as though you are going into business for yourself... but not necessarily by yourself.

2. Decide on a niche market and how you want to best serve them. My "New Agent Monopoly Guide" will be useful for you.

3. Once you determine a niche market focus, you can then determine which employers you may want to seek out, their licensing requirements, and their designations that will support your financial career.

1. This is a sales business - NOT a "job". Never forget that. Make your decisions as though you are going into business for yourself... but not necessarily by yourself.

2. Decide on a niche market and how you want to best serve them. My "New Agent Monopoly Guide" will be useful for you.

3. Once you determine a niche market focus, you can then determine which employers you may want to seek out, their licensing requirements, and their designations that will support your financial career.

thank you for your insight! I appreciate it a bunch!

I haven’t took a Finance course but I have been learning online about the stock market,
While you are in school, hone up on your English. This is a professional position and people will be leery of " I haven't took" and "had made me confused" See if you can get an internship with a financial planner (setting appointments, attending dinners) and see what a CFP goes through to get a contact and sale. It is not a cake walk

Back