Advice on going independent

a_decade_after

Greetings All,

Thanks in advice for reading through this long post and providing your sincere advice. As the headline says, I’m considering becoming a sole proprietor and going independent, and would appreciate advice from those who have done it.

About me:
I’m 56 years old with 11 years to fully retire. I have 10 years of P&C experience where I was a successful sales agent with an independent agency (no book ownership).

I’ve since left that agency, mainly due to commission changes where my income receded and then stagnated, and toward the end of my tenure I generally wasn't happy there. I have since taken time off to reevaluate my next career direction. I have a few options on the table, one with a large agency as a sales manager, salary and commissions between 60-75k max. full benefits. Etc.

I’ve had a longing to start my own independent agency ever since I got into the business, but never knew where to start and the path / pitfalls to success. But now this desire is even stronger and I have some capital to start.

My concerns:

Success ratio
I’ve read new agency success rate is very low, mainly due to the agency owner not having enough leads, or getting in front of enough prospects, resulting in the inability to generate enough income quickly, ramp up quickly, and support themselves and their families. What are some of the major challenges in being successful as a sole proprietor, independant agency owner?

Prospects / leads
This brings me to my next concern – When the doors open from day one, how did you generate enough prospect volume? I would imagine that lead / prospect volume is vital in the first few months and even more critical starting out on your own then having a base + commission job at an established agency. How did you generate or acquire enough prospects? What is the cost/benefit ratio on lead buying?

Carrier appointments
I understand that carriers will not appoint sole proprietors and this is the challenge. Is joining a cluster the only option to carrier appointments? If so, would commission splits make it harder to ramp up revenue quickly? How does it work if you're with a cluster and you want to sell your agency on the open market?

Time management
As a sole proprietor, how would one handle being on phone all day making calls, or out in the field developing lead sources, and still be available to take inbound calls and generate quotes? I’ve always believed that if you’re not at the phone to answer the call, in the office to answer the door, you’re going to lose that prospect. How did you divide your time successfully between new business generation, and quoting/selling?

Startup costs
What are the typical startup cost? If I remember correctly most insurance companies require the agent to have a brick-and-mortar location shortly after being appointed whether through a cluster or direct. Is this correct? Are they allowing agents to start from home offices? When you started out did you acquire a business loan, or was capital investment from savings?

In my last agent sales position, it took only a few short time to grow my book from $0 to $1MM in annual premiums. Then of course it grew from there. I had no overhead costs and competitive carrier choices and my closing ability is strong.

Book growth was greatly assisted by the fact it was an established brand with occurring walk-in traffic, call in traffic, free outbound leads, an in-office agent to quote/service the agent's walk-in traffic while out, and a customer service team to handle policy changes, billing and other servicing. Starting out on my own I will have none of that. This paragraph summarizes many of my trepidations.

Lastly, how did you do it, and how long did it take to get to $1MM in annual premiums?

I appreciate all the help

There’s way to many questions here to answer in one thread, but you certainly sound well versed in the Insurnace space.

I like you was a successful “corporate” agent but quickly found after a couple years that I simply was very going to create any wealth beyond just a “wage”. For me, it was a dead end road.

All you concerns about starting over are 100% valid and have merit. It’s tough sledding at first.

I went off on my own almost 13.5 months ago and contracted my carriers via PGI. It was one of the best decisions that I’ve made professionally. You can certainly find success with an aggregator and keep in mind that splits can be variable. I’d leave that to Shawn walker for further discussion there.

I’ve personally written $700,000 in p/c so far in my brief time (excluding life insurance) and I’m 100% work from home. You are correct in that 1M is a key benchmark as I believe you can take a financial breath once hitting that point.

I’d be happy to offer any insight and advice I could if interested.

Greetings All,

Thanks in advice for reading through this long post and providing your sincere advice. As the headline says, I’m considering becoming a sole proprietor and going independent, and would appreciate advice from those who have done it.

About me:
I’m 56 years old with 11 years to fully retire. I have 10 years of P&C experience where I was a successful sales agent with an independent agency (no book ownership).

I’ve since left that agency, mainly due to commission changes where my income receded and then stagnated, and toward the end of my tenure I generally wasn't happy there. I have since taken time off to reevaluate my next career direction. I have a few options on the table, one with a large agency as a sales manager, salary and commissions between 60-75k max. full benefits. Etc.

I’ve had a longing to start my own independent agency ever since I got into the business, but never knew where to start and the path / pitfalls to success. But now this desire is even stronger and I have some capital to start.

My concerns:

Success ratio
I’ve read new agency success rate is very low, mainly due to the agency owner not having enough leads, or getting in front of enough prospects, resulting in the inability to generate enough income quickly, ramp up quickly, and support themselves and their families. What are some of the major challenges in being successful as a sole proprietor, independant agency owner?

Prospects / leads
This brings me to my next concern – When the doors open from day one, how did you generate enough prospect volume? I would imagine that lead / prospect volume is vital in the first few months and even more critical starting out on your own then having a base + commission job at an established agency. How did you generate or acquire enough prospects? What is the cost/benefit ratio on lead buying?

Carrier appointments
I understand that carriers will not appoint sole proprietors and this is the challenge. Is joining a cluster the only option to carrier appointments? If so, would commission splits make it harder to ramp up revenue quickly? How does it work if you're with a cluster and you want to sell your agency on the open market?

Time management
As a sole proprietor, how would one handle being on phone all day making calls, or out in the field developing lead sources, and still be available to take inbound calls and generate quotes? I’ve always believed that if you’re not at the phone to answer the call, in the office to answer the door, you’re going to lose that prospect. How did you divide your time successfully between new business generation, and quoting/selling?

Startup costs
What are the typical startup cost? If I remember correctly most insurance companies require the agent to have a brick-and-mortar location shortly after being appointed whether through a cluster or direct. Is this correct? Are they allowing agents to start from home offices? When you started out did you acquire a business loan, or was capital investment from savings?

In my last agent sales position, it took only a few short time to grow my book from $0 to $1MM in annual premiums. Then of course it grew from there. I had no overhead costs and competitive carrier choices and my closing ability is strong.

Book growth was greatly assisted by the fact it was an established brand with occurring walk-in traffic, call in traffic, free outbound leads, an in-office agent to quote/service the agent's walk-in traffic while out, and a customer service team to handle policy changes, billing and other servicing. Starting out on my own I will have none of that. This paragraph summarizes many of my trepidations.

Lastly, how did you do it, and how long did it take to get to $1MM in annual premiums?

I appreciate all the help

Hey there! Congrats on the new career path!

With regards to time management, many (not all) agencies are now utilizing virtual assistants. I find this to be true for solo-preneurs and agencies with state side employees.

Most carriers will NOT require you have a physical office to get an appointment through a network. You can of course get appointments without a network, and I will say you are more likely to be questioned on whether you have a physical office taking this route. I'm not saying you need a network, but there's definitely advantages to joining one. One of the advantages of a good network is how pain free they make it to access a bunch of different markets.

This is the case because when you go through a network the carrier will often (not always) evaluate the master code first, and so long as they have a physical location... they sort of don't look twice at you. This is not an absolute but most of the time there's no issues.

As for selling your agency on the open market, that really depends on which network you join. Each one is structured differently, and have different ways of handling you selling the book of business. My advice to you is to carefully read the termination clauses within a networks contract.

If you are having a difficult time figuring out how restrictive a contract is/isn't, have a lawyer review it for you, but make sure they have experience with insurance network contracts.

Start up capital... it really varies. I know of agency owners writing 50k+ a month with ongoing expenses under $300 per month, that's with E&O included.

I'm thinking of one specifically that doesn't even have a website. Not advising you to take this route, as I do believe web presence is important, but rather pointing out that there's more than one way to skin a cat, and don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

Here's a list of questions you should ask any network you are considering joining.

Good luck to you!

• Do you have a good carrier mix across the lines of business I want to use in my agency?
  • Are those carriers competitive in my region specifically?
  • Do you have any production requirements?
  • Do you provide an agency management system?
  • Do you provide a comparative rater(s)?
  • Do you have a non-compete or non-solicitation if I decide your network isn't for me? If so... why?
  • Do I need an office or may I work from home?
  • What if I am new to Insurance, is that ok in your network?
  • Do you have any exit fees?
  • Can I sell my agency at some point?
  • If I sell my agency, do you take a cut?
  • Will I quote, bind, and service my policyholders directly with the carrier on their sites, or submit through you.
  • How long is my contract for, and do I get ownership right away, or over time?
  • What are the startup fees and are you willing to work with me if I need to make payments?
  • What is the commission rate/split?
  • What is the criteria for participation in the contingency bonuses (if applicable)?
  • When there are overrides and incentive bonuses do we get any of those while in your network?
  • Do you have a cap on the commission split or do you take your split forever?
  • Do you offer training during the startup phase of my agency and mentorship throughout the relationship?
  • Are you open to me contacting some of your member agencies before I sign the contract?
  • Are you open to me contacting some of your carrier reps before I sign the contract?
  • May I have an attorney, or third-party consultant review my contract with me?
  • How much industry experience does your network leadership have?
  • Has anyone in your leadership had experience in running an independent agency?
  • Does anyone in your leadership have any carrier experience/background?
  • May I contract with other carriers outside of your network?
  • How long have you been in business and how many agencies do you have in your network?
  • Define ownership.
  • How does your agency network make money?
  • One of the most important things someone can do other than reading the contracts of many networks is to speak to the owner/CEO/president of each network to get a feel for the culture. If you find they don’t have the time to talk to you... message me your contact info and I will make time for you.

I’d be happy to offer any insight and advice I could if interested.

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the reply. My biggest concern starting out on my own are prospects. My question for you is - Where do you get prospects / leads? Significant enough to generate the quantity of sales needed to ramp up quickly?

400 + views on this thread and only two new members responded? I recall when I first got into the business 10 years ago this forum was jumping and active with lots of helpful posts. Now, not so much. Crickets.

Back