Advice on going independent

Says the guy with a freakishly tiny left hand. :confused:

ryan-little-hand.gif

I don't understand what being new on the form has to do with anything. Can you elaborate on what you're eluding to?

In your post below, you seem disappointed that not enough people are responding to a post, yet you with 10 years experience, and what I expect is a lot to offer, have only posted a few times in the last few months. That's what I was getting at.

400 + views on this thread and only two new members responded? I recall when I first got into the business 10 years ago this forum was jumping and active with lots of helpful posts. Now, not so much. Crickets.

In your post below, you seem disappointed that not enough people are responding to a post, yet you with 10 years experience, and what I expect is a lot to offer, have only posted a few times in the last few months. That's what I was getting at.

I see. Well, I was a corporate agent, so a lot of my experience may not be of interest to most here. But I'd be willing to share what I know.

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the reply. My biggest concern starting out on my own are prospects. My question for you is - Where do you get prospects / leads? Significant enough to generate the quantity of sales needed to ramp up quickly?

Without leads we can't write business right? So that's certainly a good thing to focus on.

Most independents who write alot of home and auto have established relationships with loan officers and in some instances, auto dealerships.

Some folks purchase aged leads. I've not personally done that but when speaking with those who have, I'm consistently told the retention on that type of business is significantly lower... you get alot of price shoppers.

Insurance is still a relationship driven business in the sense that people tell people tell people tell people :)

I'm in Arizona myself... Mesa.

Where are you located?

400 + views on this thread and only two new members responded? I recall when I first got into the business 10 years ago this forum was jumping and active with lots of helpful posts. Now, not so much. Crickets.
I find the post to be overwhelming to read - many of these answers can be found by searching the forum.

Not that you are doing this, but I find that a few newbies come to this forum expecting us to write their business plan for them.

Let me issue an opinion on two of 20 points/questions that you have presented.

1. If I were 56 I would not start a new agency based on my experience. If I were willing to work till I was 76 it might make sense.

2. I would not suggest opening up a physical location as an agent, unless you were planning on hiring lots of folks, at least in the first 5 years. The world of work from home is alive and well in the agency world. Yes you will get pushback from carriers and yes there will be times when your family is driving you nuts - but the cost savings is tremendous. [I would then consider using this savings for advertisting/marketing.]

Best of Luck

Last edited:
Back