Agents Make Me Sad

I had a meeting with a client who wanted to see if she could save some money on her major medical insurance. I was happy to assist however during a prescreen I found she was denied by all carriers. After talking with her and explaining why she was denied (she took it as well as expected) she expressed how she never saw her agent and had no clue how to contact him as she has had the policy for several years and just last year had some medical issues. I gave her my card and told her if she has any concerns to call me as I was going to be her agent from now on. She was happy with the fact that she was able to have a agent like me. When I got back to the office I called her carrier who I am not appointed with and told them that I was going to be her agent of record, and that I needed to look into becoming appointed. The lady at the carrier office was rude with me said they do not preform an "Agent of Record" and they do not sell major medical insurance. I gave them her policy number to verify and the carrier said she has had ONLY a hospital indemnity plan.

Agent told this woman it was major medical insurance:no: Now she is screwed as can not qualify for a health plan. Makes me want to beat the crap out of that agent.:yes:

Any new agents reading this please remember you are effecting peoples lives here. Do not be like this please. We have a responsibility to ensure our clients are taken care of. I just hope she has never seen her agent because he is sitting in jail.

Last edited:
How do you know what the agent told her?

alot of clients dont have a clue what they are buying or forget, since you said she has had this policy for several years......

So dont go bashing all agents before you know the whole story.....

She isnt a client unless you have her policies, she is a prospect..........

I had a meeting with a client who wanted to see if she could save some money on her major medical insurance. I was happy to assist however during a prescreen I found she was denied by all carriers. After talking with her and explaining why she was denied (she took it as well as expected) she expressed how she never saw her agent and had no clue how to contact him as she has had the policy for several years and just last year had some medical issues. I gave her my card and told her if she has any concerns to call me as I was going to be her agent from now on. She was happy with the fact that she was able to have a agent like me. When I got back to the office I called her carrier who I am not appointed with and told them that I was going to be her agent of record, and that I needed to look into becoming appointed. The lady at the carrier office was rude with me said they do not preform an "Agent of Record" and they do not sell major medical insurance. I gave them her policy number to verify and the carrier said she has had ONLY a hospital indemnity plan.

Agent told this woman it was major medical insurance:no: Now she is screwed as can not qualify for a health plan. Makes me want to beat the crap out of that agent.:yes:

Any new agents reading this please remember you are effecting peoples lives here. Do not be like this please. We have a responsibility to ensure our clients are taken care of. I just hope she has never seen her agent because he is sitting in jail.

Seeing that she doesn't have major medical and she's been declined, why not send her to PCIP.gov - Home Then you'd actually be adding value to her.

How do you know what the agent told her?

alot of clients dont have a clue what they are buying or forget, since you said she has had this policy for several years......

So dont go bashing all agents before you know the whole story.....

She isnt a client unless you have her policies, she is a prospect..........

After some time in the business I believe that her original agent misreped her. Spend more than 10 years in the business and you will see your fair share of crappy agents -- and unfortunately in our business there are more crappy ones than there are good ones. I see it all the time. I see how agents lie about the amount of On-Hook Coverage offered to Tow risks, and then when a claim occurs they risk is screwed. I have seen agents doctor loss runs, lie on accord forms, etc. When you are in Commission Sales, and the dollars are big, the slimmy agents come out of the wood work. So it is very believable that this client was misreped.

I don't see any agent bashing here, I just see what is probably the truth.

I had a meeting with a client who wanted to see if she could save some money on her major medical insurance. I was happy to assist however during a prescreen I found she was denied by all carriers.
A great commercial for WHY you should do qualifying before you go running over to "see" them. If they're initially happy and anxious to have you come over...there's ALWAYS a reason why - truly the most dangerous prospect there is!
I gave her my card and told her if she has any concerns to call me as I was going to be her agent from now on. She was happy with the fact that she was able to have a agent like me.
Nice altruism, but if you want to be a social worker, sign up for social work. Let's be clear; you make no money from being an "agent", you make money from selling. That's a "salesperson".
When I got back to the office I called her carrier who I am not appointed with and told them that I was going to be her agent of record, and that I needed to look into becoming appointed. The lady at the carrier office was rude with me said they do not preform an "Agent of Record" and they do not sell major medical insurance. I gave them her policy number to verify and the carrier said she has had ONLY a hospital indemnity plan.
TRANSLATION: I had no other prospects to see, and had nothing else "to do". I'm willing to spend money to get appointed - without any comp. Geez Louise, when you're out of business, you can't help anybody!
Agent told this woman it was major medical insurance...
Really? You heard this with your own ears? Many "prospects" have a little trouble with memory loss...
Any new agents reading this please remember you are effecting peoples lives here. Do not be like this please. We have a responsibility to ensure our clients are taken care of.
Should you sell prospects that they need and want? Absolutely. Should you be compensated fairly for doing it? Absolutely.

Are you responsible for ensuring clients are "taken care of"? No. THEY are responsible for that.

After some time in the business I believe that her original agent misreped her. Spend more than 10 years in the business and you will see your fair share of crappy agents -- and unfortunately in our business there are more crappy ones than there are good ones. I see it all the time. I see how agents lie about the amount of On-Hook Coverage offered to Tow risks, and then when a claim occurs they risk is screwed. I have seen agents doctor loss runs, lie on accord forms, etc. When you are in Commission Sales, and the dollars are big, the slimmy agents come out of the wood work. So it is very believable that this client was misreped.

I don't see any agent bashing here, I just see what is probably the truth.

Have you ever met the insured and talked to her? Have you ever met the original agent? If not, how can you state, "I believe that her original agent misreped her." with such certainty..At least the OP met the insured before drawing a conclusion.

Yes, it is possible that the agent did something wrong but it is just as likely the agent told the insured what she was getting and she either did not understand or has forgotten. I tis also very possible that the insured "willfully" misunderstood because she was wanting something for next to nothing.. I have seen it happen.

Your statement that there are more crappy agents than good ones says more about you than it does other agents. I have seen far more good, honest agents than dishonest ones... and, yes, I have been in the business more than 10 years.. I have been a licensed agent since 1971.

That's why I only represent major medical plans. I've always had the fear that someone would only remember the major medical presentation, even if they declined it and went with the cheaper indemnity plan.

I think back to how I was before I got in this business and I guarantee you I had no idea what we had for our family but I knew my agent and trusted him.

All professions have scum bags. :yes:

I had a meeting with a client who wanted to see if she could save some money on her major medical insurance.

So you never asked her the carrier before you went out to see her? (Later you say the carrier does not sell major medical)

I was happy to assist however during a prescreen I found she was denied by all carriers. After talking with her and explaining why she was denied (she took it as well as expected)

When was she denied by all carriers?

The carriers never told her why and you had to explain?

she expressed how she never saw her agent and had no clue how to contact him as she has had the policy for several years and just last year had some medical issues.

So she lost his card?

She couldn't call the carrier and ask for his number?

Back