American Income Life?

Here's the truth: this is a brutal business with a 95% (or more) failure rate. Over the twenty plus years I've been in it, I've noticed that the small minority who are successful are able to inspire and encourage themselves. Soft attitudes such as yours ain't gonna get it. It's entrepreneurial - if you're waiting for someone to encourage, inspire and do it for you - you'll be waiting a long time. It's up to one person - you.

I agree this is a business that takes persistence, a large amount of hard work, and the ability to not become discouraged.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Here's MY truth: this isn't a cruel or brutal business, it's a loving business. Don't you feel good being with your prospects and you're helping diminish their worries and fears? If there is a ninety-five percent wash-out rate, isn't that mostly because of erroneous hiring? This industry is notorious for hiring people who can't or won't talk to people, very often former or recent accounting or law school grads who can't sell a policy to their mommy. This is all about getting close to people...

I agree! It is not a cruel or brutal business as far as what we do for our clients is concerned. It is my thought that every person I have ever sold a policy to has been left in a better condition than when I found them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Saw this out in the community yesterday.. then saw the tiny print on the "lead card" for a child safety kit.

During my time in law enforcement, I once headed up the community services unit where we would interact with the community at events, etc. This marketing by an insurance company is so freaking wrong. I couldn't imagine being forced to count on the bait-and-switch these require, in order to make a living.

Image:
20130207_194406.jpg

Image:
20130207_194439.jpg

Is it any different than any of the free stuff people are offered such as seminar meals?

Last edited:
Up until last week I worked for AIL, I started the interview process in November 2012. I left because I was in "training" for over 2 months. I would ride with supervisors who told me I had to make them their quota beore I could try for my own. One of my supervisors gave me a sale because the agency owner wasn't making production requirements. This suporisor then explained to me that he would have made $20 more in comission on the sale than I would have so I then had to pay him the difference. NOT HAPPENING. Overall their sales tactics are questionable but I was putting in 13 hour days with no pay. I have children that I nevr saw and my husband could barely keep our bills paid because he was havng to put gas in my car twice a week to drive the 50 miles to get to the office on a daily basis.

I guess that 40% override your supervisor is getting isn't enough. Just remember when they terminate your contract they will send you a bill for all commissions they paid you.

Up until last week I worked for AIL, I started the interview process in November 2012. I left because I was in "training" for over 2 months. I would ride with supervisors who told me I had to make them their quota beore I could try for my own. One of my supervisors gave me a sale because the agency owner wasn't making production requirements. This suporisor then explained to me that he would have made $20 more in comission on the sale than I would have so I then had to pay him the difference. NOT HAPPENING. Overall their sales tactics are questionable but I was putting in 13 hour days with no pay. I have children that I nevr saw and my husband could barely keep our bills paid because he was havng to put gas in my car twice a week to drive the 50 miles to get to the office on a daily basis.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Anyone who is going to work for American Income better have a car that gets 40 mpg. They use to send me 100 miles one way.

Last edited:
I interviewed with them and was told to come back less than a week later for another interview where they would make a hiring decision on the spot. I would then be expected to make a decision on the spot as well. I contacted them and declined the second interview.

That's not an acceptable way of doing business, especially for this kind of work. I did a lot of research on them and all is not as rosy as they claim. They do a lot of shady things and expect you to upsell their remarkably expensive policies.

They target lower to middle income people. Their union leads are not nearly as good as they claim. Most people have no idea what they are filling out when they send in their union cards.

I'm sure some people do really well with them, but any insurance company that expects YOU to pay for training and exams isn't worth your time in my opinion.

.....I'm sure some people do really well with them, but any insurance company that expects YOU to pay for training and exams isn't worth your time in my opinion.

A lot of companies do not pay for training or exams.

I interviewed with them and was told to come back less than a week later for another interview where they would make a hiring decision on the spot. I would then be expected to make a decision on the spot as well. I contacted them and declined the second interview.

That's not an acceptable way of doing business, especially for this kind of work. I did a lot of research on them and all is not as rosy as they claim. They do a lot of shady things and expect you to upsell their remarkably expensive policies.

They target lower to middle income people. Their union leads are not nearly as good as they claim. Most people have no idea what they are filling out when they send in their union cards.

I'm sure some people do really well with them, but any insurance company that expects YOU to pay for training and exams isn't worth your time in my opinion.

I get that it's fun to bash a company one the internet, but you're way off base on some of the above. I realize I've already stated as much on this thread, but I have actually worked for AIL (NILICO in NY) and while it's not a great fit for everyone, it's not a bad company. They give you warm leads at ZERO cost AND you don't get locked out from writing from other carriers when you leave. Very few companies in the insurance industry offer that type of a situation.

Individual offices may vary, but for you to say they do "a lot of shady things" or expect to "upsell their remarkably expensive policies" is malarkey. Their products are expensive relative to the rest of the industry, but they're also taking the time and effort to go to the homes of folks and discuss why life and accident insurance makes sense for them and there is some value to that. They are also only charging people what they expected to be paid, there aren't any catches. AARP selling term life insurance to seniors knowing full well they likely think it's permanent coverage is deceptive, but selling life insurance that's more expensive than other companies is hardly shady.

Again, if it wasn't for you, no surprise. If it's not a great fit for most folks, no surprise. You lose me when you start trying to make them out to be worse than what they are though. They recruit agents to work good leads (if you think the leads suck, you likely have no business working any leads) and if you decide to walk away you can contract with any other insurance company you want without a waiting period.

I agree with Josh (for once) AIL is not totally bad. They are a place to start and learn.

fair enough Josh. They just weren't for me at the time.

I'm merely parroting what I've read about them and my general perception from the interview I did have with them.

Back