Anyone using WordPress to host CRM/AMS/etc?

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
I've been working on some different projects and the backend of WordPress has really come a long way. Even if you aren't using wordpress as a website, the amount of free software you can get on there is pretty significant. Even the upsells are really inexpensive compared to things like salesforce.

So has anyone customized any of the ERP/CRM/AMS products to handle their agency workflows?

Thoughts?

I did not know that Word Press could be used for anything other than websites.

Silly me, Read this.

For me I have zero interest in spending a lot of time building a new CRM or AMS rather than just customizing an existing one. There are a LOT of solid options out there. But I am small shop.

Last edited:
I've been working on some different projects and the backend of WordPress has really come a long way. Even if you aren't using wordpress as a website, the amount of free software you can get on there is pretty significant. Even the upsells are really inexpensive compared to things like salesforce.

So has anyone customized any of the ERP/CRM/AMS products to handle their agency workflows?

Thoughts?
I haven't.

Zoho does so much of this though and with Zapier, the integrations are pretty seamless. They have more products than what's imaginable and you can hire developers on Upwork to customize everything for you.

Sorry, that doesn't really answer your question but maybe an alternative if Wordpress doesn't work for you for some reason.

I looked at doing this once for a side business. It was over my head at the time for the amount of hours I had available. But if you need a highly customized workflow system, I could see real benefit in building a web based CRM yourself via WP.

There are more than enough plugins available to piece most of it together without the need for in depth programming. And hiring a WP programmer is cheap anyway compared to other systems.

You could really get as detailed and in-depth as you wish. I could see using sub-domains for various uses, like a client facing side of the CRM, etc.

There are also some pre-built themes out there for WP that are geared towards being a CRM. Not that you need one, I just used the theme I already had bough for my insurance sites. But they could be a good starting point, or just give you an idea of basic possibilities.

Love wordpress - but I would be aware that wordpress is open source and prone to viruses - so that is more of an issue.

Good point. Open source has its pros and cons. Ive never had any serious virus issues on my WP sites. But I keep them updated and have good security software running on both the webpage and the host servers.

Open source can also be a good thing to protect against software vulnerabilities. WP has thousands of eyes reviewing the software for potential vulnerabilities. Unbiased experts whos interest is in making the software better and not in profits of a corporation/company. When issues are brought to light, the entire community is informed and updates issued in a timely manner (with WP at least). But obviously its wide open for hackers to look for those issues as well.

I do like how opensource software often fosters a huge community of supporting software.

Closed source software makes you trust the creators assurance there are no vulnerabilities... and as the software world has seen many times now... companies do not always notify customers about a major flaw that had existed for years that was just now fixed via update. Some of the biggest tech companies in the world have had major flaws in their software requiring updates that left customers exposed for months or even years. Often these issues have been brought to public light by security professionals in the IT world. Of course the flip side to that is hackers are not able to see the source code, making it harder to design viruses, etc.

But its a very valid point, Open Source certainly has its drawbacks, especially with security.

Ive never had any serious virus issues on my WP sites. But I keep them updated and have good security software running on both the webpage and the host servers.
I have - it was a friggin nightmare. Short Version = I completely had to rebuild my site from scratch. Wordpress constantly needs to be upgraded for security. This is one of the main reasons that I use WP Engine (they do all that for you.) I still use Wordpress for all my sites, but I would not say that its a perfect product.

I have - it was a friggin nightmare. Short Version = I completely had to rebuild my site from scratch. Wordpress constantly needs to be upgraded for security. This is one of the main reasons that I use WP Engine (they do all that for you.) I still use Wordpress for all my sites, but I would not say that its a perfect product.

What do you feel the advantage is to managed WP hosting vs. setting WP to update automatically?

I am certain that there are advantageous that I do not know about or understand. However one difference is that WP Engine wont even allow you to use some plugins. Other plugins you have to call in to add. I have had them notify me that a plugin on my site has become "toxic" and needs to be removed.

Its a much more closed and walled off garden. That being said - it is a lot more expensive for sure.

Back