Appointment Setters

To either set an appointment for an insurance review/proposal within the next 2 weeks or about 3 months out when the current policy renews.

Something is not adding up to me. Either this telemarketer is subpar or her training is subpar. I've hired marketers and had better results before lunch their first day.

My mistake on the hours she spent calling businesses, just over 1 hour not close to 3. The list she was calling was small and has about 20-25% bad numbers (out of business for - no longer in service). The list was free (paid for by the insurance company). All together she actually talked to 11 businesses: 2 hung up, 1 said not interested, 5 said mail us information, and 3 said "Yes" so we'll see them 3 months out from renewal.

Next week, she'll have a list of 250 businesses to call.

My fault...She worked a total of just under 3 hours on the day she called the businesses: about 1 hour calling businesses and the other 2 calling residents. She spoke to 11 owners with 3 agreeing to meet in their renewal window, 5 asking us to mail something, 2 saying not interested and 1 hanging up on her.

The list is not great, but it was free (Insurance company pay for it). About 20-25% of the business telephone numbers were no longer in service and just under 20% for the residents.

I'd like some input on this strategy from those who have tried it:

1. What's your general opinion of using an appointment setter?
2. What & how do you pay?
3. How successful has it been for you?
4. Any differences dialing businesses vs. residences?
5. How difficult has it been finding & keeping good ones?

Thanks!

1) Good ones are easier to find once you've gone through a handful and know how to vet them.
2) I use either (a) a per-appointment fee, and (b) an fixed-hourly rate with the understanding the setter will set X appointments.
3) Very successful.
4) Only working residential.
5) It always depends; I tend to think setters get burned out after 3-6 months, especially if they have more than one agent to work for. You need to watch them closely -- is their pass-through rate decreasing? Is their appointment-setting ratio decreasing? How do they sound on the phone?

Back