Are we responsible for...(Theoretical question)

shawnmwalker

Guru
1000 Post Club
Colorado
ARE WE SALES PROFESSIONALS, RESPONSIBLE ONLY FOR THE SALE OF AND THE MAINTANCE OF INSURANCE POLICES....

OR ARE WE SOMEHOW ALSO RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RESULTS OF THE INSURANCE COMPANIES, AND THEREFORE, ALSO RESPONSIBLE TO BE EFFECTIVE FIELD UNDERWRITTERS?

Which are you?

A Sales Person or a Filed Underwriter?

If you want your business to stick, I think you have to wear the underwriters shoes while you sell. Your experience gives you the knowledge of what they are looking for and it is up to you to provide that application. So, to answer your question, you are both

I would argue that Insurance Agents are neither Field Underwriters Nor Sales people. The question is too simplistic. We are Insurance Agents and or Brokers.

We underwrite some, We sell some, and We service some. Frankly we have, in many cases, responsibilities to many many parties: The Client, The Insurer, The State Regulatory Body, our own Agency,and our code of Ethics.

ARE WE SALES PROFESSIONALS, RESPONSIBLE ONLY FOR THE SALE OF AND THE MAINTANCE OF INSURANCE POLICES....

OR ARE WE SOMEHOW ALSO RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RESULTS OF THE INSURANCE COMPANIES, AND THEREFORE, ALSO RESPONSIBLE TO BE EFFECTIVE FIELD UNDERWRITTERS?

Which are you?

A Sales Person or a Filed Underwriter?
Both Mikey. You have to field UW it before you can sell it. :yes:

How do we not have a throw up emoji?

I *never* refer to myself as a field underwriter. I'm an insurance agent. We wear multiple hats. However, I don't evaluate the risk of a client for the insurance company.

My job is to find out if a person would likely pass underwriting. If they do, great. If they don't, I don't want to waste their time by submitting an app.

I don't clean sheet because it's not in the best interest of the client as claims can get denied and insurance policies revoked.

All of that being said, it ultimately results in the same activity, but perspective matters. I legit do not give two poo-poo's about the insurance companies profitability and assumption of risk. They have a whole team of people that does that for them.

Back