Are we responsible for...(Theoretical question)

That's called field underwriting. Settlers referred to agents as field underwriters. :yes:

I would argue that Settlers is using a marketing ploy so people don't feel like a scummy insurance agent. I do see where you're coming from, but from a perspective that I accept risk on behalf of the insurance company (which is what an underwriter does), I think calling yourself that is a stretch.

It's a fine line, and I noted that my perspective of what I'm doing does the same activities. However, I'm not doing it to ensure the profitability of the insurance company.

I totally understand where you're coming from and I'm all about Potato vs Po-ta-to on this...

I would argue that Settlers is using a marketing ploy so people don't feel like a scummy insurance agent. I do see where you're coming from, but from a perspective that I accept risk on behalf of the insurance company (which is what an underwriter does), I think calling yourself that is a stretch.

It's a fine line, and I noted that my perspective of what I'm doing does the same activities. However, I'm not doing it to ensure the profitability of the insurance company.

I totally understand where you're coming from and I'm all about Potato vs Po-ta-to on this...

If you are trying to make sure it passes underwriting, I could argue that what you are doing is field underwriting. But if you are making sure it passes underwriting, in the interest of a sale, then you are looking at it from the end of a sales professional, and not a field underwriter.

So, for the sake of argument, one person could argue you are being a field underwriter, and another could argue you are being a sales professional with the exact same information.

Fine line indeed.

I'm not even against calling it field underwriting. I hate the term Field Underwriter.

It's like calling yourself a Benefits Consultant or a CEO when you're the only employee.. It reads disingenuous to me.

Now.. you can call yourself whatever you want. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade.

For me, and only me, my goal is not to make the insurance company profitable. It's a side effect, but not my priority.

Again, I'm not arguing anyone is wrong here, because they aren't. Just explaining my perspective.

The insurance companies give more than two poo-poos about your profitability. Many an agency has been dropped if the book of business for that carrier has been unprofitable.

Well, to be fair, I just realized I was in the P&C forum. Your loss ratio is important to the success of your agency and you can lose your appointment.

I just clicked on last posts on the bottom of the screen when I saw the topic.

Oops ..

Foot, meet mouth.

Really don't care what my title is, if I am doing my job submitting business which will issue, regardless of the type of business, I am underwriting and selling. Even when I go out looking for a carrier who will issue odd business i am field underwriting

If you are trying to make sure it passes underwriting, I could argue that what you are doing is field underwriting. But if you are making sure it passes underwriting, in the interest of a sale, then you are looking at it from the end of a sales professional, and not a field underwriter.

So, for the sake of argument, one person could argue you are being a field underwriter, and another could argue you are being a sales professional with the exact same information.

Fine line indeed.

I really don't think it matters from which point of view you do the work If you are still doing the job your doing it

Insurance doesn't pay well to sell apps it pays because you have to be a professional which includes field underwriting to succeed, No matter what the reason behind it

I really don't think it matters from which point of view you do the work If you are still doing the job your doing it

Insurance doesn't pay well to sell apps it pays because you have to be a professional which includes field underwriting to succeed, No matter what the reason behind it

I agree with the idea of field underwriting. Calling yourself a field underwriter is disingenuous. The act of doing something and presenting yourself as something you're not are two different arguments.

Now... If you or Fedup want to call yourself field underwriters, my job isn't to tell you that you aren't.

Point of view does matter, as it informs how you present yourself to your clients.

I worked with Frank Stastny less than a year before he passed. I think that informed what I call myself vs what I do.

That being said, you have every right to think I'm nitpicking because I am a little bit. However, for me, the differentiation matters.

I agree with the idea of field underwriting. Calling yourself a field underwriter is disingenuous. The act of doing something and presenting yourself as something you're not are two different arguments.

Now... If you or Fedup want to call yourself field underwriters, my job isn't to tell you that you aren't.

Point of view does matter, as it informs how you present yourself to your clients.

I worked with Frank Stastny less than a year before he passed. I think that informed what I call myself vs what I do.

That being said, you have every right to think I'm nitpicking because I am a little bit. However, for me, the differentiation matters.

Its not like you present yourself as a field underwriter, However, it is part of the duties you are in fact doing it, Among other things as it is just a part of the whole

Last edited:
My job is to find out if a person would likely pass underwriting. If they do, great. If they don't, I don't want to waste their time by submitting an app.
You my not call yourself a field underwriter and neither do I but you just described field underwriting.. And, part of it extends past the way the proposed insured answers the questions.. If they say they don't use O2 but you see O2 bottles or a concentrator sitting in the corner, you have an obligation to drill down on the O2 questions.

Back