Bankers Life question and Afib/Eliquis

TN_agent

Guru
100+ Post Club
A 75- year old who called me (not my supplement client, but always a potential there) was cold called by another agent about dropping their Bankers Life supplement (F, at or around $400 a month) to do a trial right to an MAPD, then switching back to a GI supplement G. They have A-fib/Eliquis and were told by the agent it was the only way for them to get on a G, but that the agent could save them $1500 a year by them doing this.

This raises a couple of red flags for me, but I don't sell with Banker's Life. I always thought for GI they had to enroll back into the exact supplement they had before the trial right, unless that policy is no longer available in their area, THEN they could look at other options. So is Bankers Life getting out of the F market in TN?

If this agent is full of crap, which carrier will take a well-controlled A-fib (no surgery, Eliquis only)? I have not had a lot of luck with my current carriers, or if they will take them, it is more than $400 a month for the coverage. A search on here produces results that are 5+ years old.

A 75- year old who called me (not my supplement client, but always a potential there) was cold called by another agent about dropping their Bankers Life supplement (F, at or around $400 a month) to do a trial right to an MAPD, then switching back to a GI supplement G. They have A-fib/Eliquis and were told by the agent it was the only way for them to get on a G, but that the agent could save them $1500 a year by them doing this.

This raises a couple of red flags for me, but I don't sell with Banker's Life. I always thought for GI they had to enroll back into the exact supplement they had before the trial right, unless that policy is no longer available in their area, THEN they could look at other options. So is Bankers Life getting out of the F market in TN?

If this agent is full of crap, which carrier will take a well-controlled A-fib (no surgery, Eliquis only)? I have not had a lot of luck with my current carriers, or if they will take them, it is more than $400 a month for the coverage. A search on here produces results that are 5+ years old.
She'll have to go back to Bankers...unless that policy's no longer available. You might be able to find a company that would take her GI, but I doubt it.

She can't qualify for a Med Supp. The agent's just trying to get a year's commission.

She'll have to go back to Bankers...unless that policy's no longer available. You might be able to find a company that would take her GI, but I doubt it.

She can't qualify for a Med Supp. The agent's just trying to get a year's commission.

Are you sure she can't qualify? Not that I've done it, but I could have sworn there are some carriers who will take well controlled A-Fib (even if treated with medication). I input A-Fib and Eliquis into CSG and it said the following carriers in my area accept it (that doesn't mean they will be approved):

Allstate Health Solutions
Medico
SBLI
Banker Fidelity
GTL

Are you sure she can't qualify? Not that I've done it, but I could have sworn there are some carriers who will take well controlled A-Fib (even if treated with medication). I input A-Fib and Eliquis into CSG and it said the following carriers in my area accept it (that doesn't mean they will be approved):

Allstate Health Solutions
Medico
SBLI
Banker Fidelity
GTL
I haven't tried CSG's underwriting for a couple of years, but it was never accurate before.

I listed A-Fib and Eliquis with Toolkit and every carrier was a decline. I didn't have any of the carriers you listed in my quote. I'll add them and see what it says.

They don't have Allstate or SBLI and it says Bankers isn't available for underwriting(is it available in TN?).

Prosperity might be a possibility if diagnosed more than 5 years ago. Is Prosperity the same as SBLI? I'd try that before the Trial Right route.

Last edited:
That Farmers agent is putting the screws to the old writing agent who probably worked at the same office. IF the client asked for a way to save money then this changes things. May wind up with a client who cannot qualify for a med supp so I hope their E&O is in place

Depends on the state and company.
In Florida, if someone is on a Supp (any company), picks up a MAPD, and wants to pick up UHC within 12 months it’s GI.

That Farmers agent is putting the screws to the old writing agent who probably worked at the same office. IF the client asked for a way to save money then this changes things. May wind up with a client who cannot qualify for a med supp so I hope their E&O is in place

this is my thought as well. The client was cold called, told her old agent was no longer with the agency. Told that doing this could save them $1500 a year, etc. I told them that there were some red flags here, but I don’t sell with bankers to know if they can indeed (in TN) get a different supplement such as G when trial right is over because the Bankers policy is no longer available. Feels like an agent wanting to get full first year MAPD commission and possibly being ignorant of the rules.

Depends on the state and company.
In Florida, if someone is on a Supp (any company), picks up a MAPD, and wants to pick up UHC within 12 months it’s GI.
I will check but I don’t believe that applies with UHC in TN

I don't know what BFLIC is doing in TN but they pulled BFLIC in Georgia and few years ago and are only writing BFAC here, and only a few plans. Neither HDF or HDG is offered by BFAC.

I don't know any carriers that will allow GI on a G plan if they had F before. Anthem is the only carrier paying a commission on GI and they will take a Trial Right person and put them in an F plan, but not G. Or the person can enroll in plan N which is a unique option.

The fly in the ointment is TN Blues are not part of Anthem.

As for the rogue agent, sounds to me like they are "bending" the rules, cold calling with the intent of selling a MAPD which is not CMS compliant.

if they are paying 400.00 they are on a closed book of business most likely and it wouldn’t be available for them to go back on anyway bc they aren’t taking new sales. I had a client a few years ago paying a bunch for a Mutual of Omaha F plan that had been a closed block and Mutual had started United of Omaha or whichever other Company they had at the time. Switched them to MA and then before 12 months was up went back to United of Omaha F plan at a much cheaper premium. Didn’t have to be a Mutual Company bc the block they were on was closed so they could go on Aetna or whatever one they wanted that was cheapest.

Back