BCBSTX Med Supp Rate Increases

kgmom219

What's Next?
5000 Post Club
Texas
This is nuts. In 20+ years, I have never seen this level of increase. And until this morning, the internal system wasn't showing the numbers.

Does anyone have a cheat sheet for UHC Med Supp Underwriting? Or know where I can find one? (And also have an answer when they say "I hate AARP". Which happens about 50% of the time)

This is nuts. In 20+ years, I have never seen this level of increase. And until this morning, the internal system wasn't showing the numbers.

Does anyone have a cheat sheet for UHC Med Supp Underwriting? Or know where I can find one? (And also have an answer when they say "I hate AARP". Which happens about 50% of the time)
https://vpn.ncc-agent.com/docs/Unit...plement AARP UHC/Producer Handbook MS UHC.pdf

https://vpn.ncc-agent.com/docs/Unit...Enrollment Kit MS UHC (Eff 7.1.21-6.1.22).pdf

Just say it is United and leave it at that. Perhaps if you hang around long enough Joey will turn TX blue and you can have a new market.

Do you speak Spanish?

Smarta**

That would work, except you have to be an AARP member and the damn ID Card says AARP. Don't get me started on this topic. Fox went after them for supporting ACA, which is stupid, since they got the ratio rule to cut their memberships premiums by 50% and screw everyone under age 50. So all the Fox watchers hate AARP. Which is fine, until I sell 98 UHC plans and 53 BCBS plans and I promise you every single BCBS person said "I hate AARP". And it only matters because at 100 UHC, I GET A DAMN TRIP. And since its all about ME, that's a problem.

@kgmom219 what kind of increases are you seeing? Still have ~4% here. Would not be surprised to see higher increases in the near future due to the Wuhan flu target market . . .

Since I’m in Fl and UHC is king, before I even quote my T65’s I ask them if they have an issue with AARP. If they say yes, I tell them the most consistent company is UHC and you have to be a member for 1 year.
If that’s not OK, I can quote other companies but they love to raise higher rates. At this point they say, “I don’t like AARP but I’m willing to try them out”.

Maybe 1 out of 10 will say no thanks and I’ll have to put them with Aetna, Cigna, moo.

Since I’m in Fl and UHC is king, before I even quote my T65’s I ask them if they have an issue with AARP. If they say yes, I tell them the most consistent company is UHC and you have to be a member for 1 year.
If that’s not OK, I can quote other companies but they love to raise higher rates. At this point they say, “I don’t like AARP but I’m willing to try them out”.

Maybe 1 out of 10 will say no thanks and I’ll have to put them with Aetna, Cigna, moo.

I guess money trumps politics sometimes

This is what I say about those folks who wrinkle their noses at AARP:

Look, you can pay XYZ's premium of $ouch/or higher. Or, hear me out on AARP:

UnitedHealthcare has the rights to use the AARP name, it's like they are married. You don't have to like one to like the other. So you don't like AARP's politics, or the mail that uses 1/3 of the Brazilian rainforest, that's an unfortunate aspect of the marriage. But, for $16 and for one year membership, you can purchase this supplement. Think of it as an application fee.

But, let me tell you the additional perks you it brings you - and you may find the perks of the discounts to be worth the application fee of $16 (and I mention the vision discount because it works out to a $50 copay at the AARP vetted provider (LensCrafters is one), or the hearing aid benefit, there others as well.

So, how about it? A $16 application fee, I won't tell a soul, I won't call AP News or CNN or your local news station to announce it to the world - it will be just between you and me, and you don't have to renew next year. 9 out of 10 will with brows furrowed and snorts coming out like Toro the Bull from Looney Tunes will sign up. The one who doesn't, well, we go with XYZ company's $ouch plan (it's usually a male who puts the foot down) because it goes against his principles.

Hope this is helpful.

P.S. In those states where the rates are not out of sight, the renewals have been single digits and fairly consistent with the plans that I sell - F, G, N. Who wants to have double digit rate increases on a Med supp over medical trend - ugh! and shudder. Most of these people may have means but don't want to pay a lot for their muffler - if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Back