BCBSTX Med Supp Rate Increases

This is what I say about those folks who wrinkle their noses at AARP:

Look, you can pay XYZ's premium of $ouch/or higher. Or, hear me out on AARP:

UnitedHealthcare has the rights to use the AARP name, it's like they are married. You don't have to like one to like the other. So you don't like AARP's politics, or the mail that uses 1/3 of the Brazilian rainforest, that's an unfortunate aspect of the marriage. But, for $16 and for one year membership, you can purchase this supplement. Think of it as an application fee.

But, let me tell you the additional perks you it brings you - and you may find the perks of the discounts to be worth the application fee of $16 (and I mention the vision discount because it works out to a $50 copay at the AARP vetted provider (LensCrafters is one), or the hearing aid benefit, there others as well.

So, how about it? A $16 application fee, I won't tell a soul, I won't call AP News or CNN or your local news station to announce it to the world - it will be just between you and me, and you don't have to renew next year. 9 out of 10 will with brows furrowed and snorts coming out like Toro the Bull from Looney Tunes will sign up. The one who doesn't, well, we go with XYZ company's $ouch plan (it's usually a male who puts the foot down) because it goes against his principles.

Hope this is helpful.

P.S. In those states where the rates are not out of sight, the renewals have been single digits and fairly consistent with the plans that I sell - F, G, N. Who wants to have double digit rate increases on a Med supp over medical trend - ugh! and shudder. Most of these people may have means but don't want to pay a lot for their muffler - if you know what I mean.

Im not getting “wrinkled noses”.

I get asked if I’m a communist.

I’ve been asked if I’m aware they support killing babies.

And my favorite “you’re a f***** dumb*** for even bringing them up”

Welcome to TX.

@kgmom219 what kind of increases are you seeing? Still have ~4% here. Would not be surprised to see higher increases in the near future due to the Wuhan flu target market . . .

Women are under 5%. Men are at 12%

And the damn letters don’t include the HH discount.

I heard in 2021 that UHC was rolling out a new line of business without AARP branding, has that occurred, and anyone have any info about it?

edit-and like magic I received an email about this today (4/13)

Last edited:
I am in Florida. When the issue OF AARP comes up I explain that AARP is not an insurance company. Yes AARP endorses United Healthcare which is an insurance company. While you have to initially be a member of AARP, you do not have to keep it or renew it to keep the supplement. I point out the positives of United Healthcare and say you are buying an insurance product and because of underwriting to change, you need to get the right company to begin with and choose the insurance product that you feel will meet your needs in the long term and just ignore AARP if you do not like them.

I heard in 2021 that UHC was rolling out a new line of business without AARP branding, has that occurred, and anyone have any info about it?

edit-and like magic I received an email about this today (4/13)

I'm moving people from Blue to UHC all the time.

If you haven't done UHC UW apps (like me) let me know and I will send you the tips and tricks, so you don't get all the damn calls later

I'm moving people from Blue to UHC all the time.

If you haven't done UHC UW apps (like me) let me know and I will send you the tips and tricks, so you don't get all the damn calls later

Hi, am new to industry here, could you please share the core tips and tricks to ensure compliance and less call later, please...? TIA

Back