Becoming a State Farm Agent

I was once a State Farm agent. Is was a good experience. It was my first insurance gig. However, it made me realize that Independent is the way to go! I got sick us people being on my butt and telling me what to do.

You should look at the independent side. You will never regret it!

Were do I start on the independent side?

To my knowledge there is not a recruiter or someone in the know to help you like with the big name companies that are captive?

Any suggestions please???

Start talking to the leading INDY agents and agencies in your town and see if they are looking for someone. Once you learn the ropes you can go it alone just becareful of non-competes and have a clear understanding of commission splits and who the client belongs to. I do not know where you are located at but you could talk to Nationwide, American Family, or Shelter if they have something going in your area. I would avoid Farmers and Allstate.

Last edited:
Were do I start on the independent side?

To my knowledge there is not a recruiter or someone in the know to help you like with the big name companies that are captive?

Any suggestions please???

SO you think captive companies like STATE FARM , is looking for brand new agents to invest time and money with?

Most of the time they are looking for someone that has been doing this for 20 years.

There are too many new agents out there, for them to invest any time and money with. They want someone that has been doing this for a while.

I see...I don't know why an agent for 20 years would choose state farm though?

I have other offers with other captive companies that there numbers to make a living are lower than SF?

So its been my expierence in this industry so far that if you can make it 5 years with any company then you are then at the stage that you are way better off than when first starting.

It doesn't mean you are out of the woods but you are so called on your way.

So I don't know why an expirenced agent would want SF...I would think indy in that situation.

Again I wonder were the best place to start with INDY is...I don't want to work for someone a couple of years, I feel my 4 years of success as and associate agent warrants that my next step is to be THE AGENT.

I would have to agree with almost all the recent posts..I haven't been here in a while as Ive been busy opening up my agency. Only thing I have to contest is that the market you are in can affect you in a positive way or in a negative way. I've had opportunities to talk to the majority of top 10 agents TICA and established agents. I've seen some of their score card bonuses and even if they did only break even throughout the year with their expenses and commissions a 250-300k scorecard bonus is all theirs to keep. (don't know what the net result is after that gets taxed) but in either case the ones that showed me their bonus they are positive on the commissions vs expense side...they are in the State that I'm in.

Basically Texas and before Florida closed down are/where the best states for the opportunity.

I won't be back here for a while but just thought i'd drop in to say hello

If you only have $50k to invest then it sounds like you would be putting your family in an all or nothing situation. Now is not the time to do that. Consider what the $50k would be worth if you invested it wisely for the the next 20 years AND still had the CASH to fall back on if you needed it.

"you are saying that SF makes me keep 3 positions in the office at all times. The recruiter is telling me differently that is my discreations...so I am assuming somewhere between is the truth."

Its called optionatory, kinda like when a company tells you that donating to the united way is optional.... If you want to get ahead you better play the game the way they want you too.

I'm scheduled to attend the day-long Career Understanding Seminar soon. I'd like to get some opinions - I'll be 61 years old in September, don't have a lot of money saved (what I have is in 401K). My wife is 42 and works for $50K per year. I have been a software engineer making about $100K but was laid off last fall and now making about $75K. We own a house and have one last son in college. My credit score is about 690-710. How many people think I'm too old for SF to consider?

Back