Becoming a State Farm Agent

Looking at credit in the background is pretty standard stuff for the big captive companies. And yes, it is a deal breaker, even in a small offense. Their stance is there are plenty of people with great credit out there. Recruiters, go find those people!

SF is a fantastic company. My business works with agents from every walk of life. And overall, SF is hands down the most well established, professional group of field agents. A good test of this would be to randomly stop into 2 Agencies of the following companies: SF, American Family, Allstate, Farmers, and Liberty Mutual. See for yourself.

I don't know if the recruiter has told you, but SF requires a lot of personal capital before they take you on. I think the number is $50k of liquid assets before they will let you start an agency. (Don't know for sure though.)

Also, if you're thinking about going independent one day, I would start that way. The beauty of each model is building on past successes. If you're doing well at SF, you won't want to leave. If you're not, they'll fire you anyway! :)

SF use to have the pick of the litter when it came to recruiting agents but word about the new contract is beginning to circulate. A lot of top notch people who would have jumped at SF have started looking elsewhere.

My prediction is that in another 10-20 years, if they don't change the contract, that SF will no longer have
hands down the most well established, professional group of field agents

State Farm used to be the prime insurance job. I don't know about that anymore but certain it's still a great opportunity. They've had issues like everyone else but still a top company. If I were starting out in insurance and had the chance to work there I would.

As with any captive company, you end up being held hostage to the whims of the company. Look what happened here in FL, State Farm was the biggest fish around and then they decided to pull out. This left all the State Farm agents out in the cold overnight.

As with any captive company, you end up being held hostage to the whims of the company. Look what happened here in FL, State Farm was the biggest fish around and then they decided to pull out. This left all the State Farm agents out in the cold overnight.

Having faced a VERY similar situation here in Virginia Beach, I can relate to this. However, I will say, the one thing we all have to do as businesspeople is adapt and conquer! Luckily, State Farm has a broad product line that allows us to still make a good living. We just have to change our focus to adapt to the UW guidelines put forth in front of us. I still think it's a great company to work for. Of course, this is coming from a producer, not an inquiring agent. Agency has changed drastically in the 6 years I've been with the company.

If you are a State Farm TICA I can help you make the most out of your internet leads and calling off of spreadsheets. Send me a message or reach out thru the forum.

I met with a veteran SF agent a few years ago who told me to sign right up if they would let me sign the same contract he originally signed in 1973. I found out the differences with the new contract and decided to avoid SF.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge of State Farm.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I am glad that you are doing good.
Why they are treating agents differently ?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your knowledge of State Farm.
I am glad that you are doing good.
Why they are treating agents differently ?

AJ3 the contract today is different than it use to be. I think SF thought the agents were making too much money.

Is English a second language for you?

AJ3, I PM'd you a few days ago also, but wanted to say in here in case you didn't see, I'm also in VA and happy to help you understand the company in this area a bit, as its a bit different than most others. My experience with the company has been great for eight years now, so I've learned a lot. Happy to help.

Regarding treatment of agents, as Xrac says, the newer contracts aren't nearly as lucrative as they once were but the ability to hold a solid income is certainly there. Your first year or two will be tough to get your full contract, but once you finish that, assuming you don't fail, you'll understand how to do well with this company. They train their agents very well in many aspects, so they can be a great source of knowledge that will help you build your career over the long term that you can take anywhere.

Great information, i think this is going to help lot of people who wants to become State farm agent.
Yes Xrac, english is my second language.
Are you a state farm agent Chevarian113 ?

Last edited:
Back