Becoming an Independent Insurance Agent

Considering the Insurance field

Hello All,

Currently I am a Store Manager for Sprint, where I sell of course cell phones. I am going to school to get my Associates in Business. I am looking for a better way of life. Something with more convenient hours, and something more like a career. Soooo I was considering selling insurance. I have absolutely no idea on how I would go about doing this. Would I work better hours? What type of insurance should I sell? There is so many kinds: car, life, health, property etc. Where should I start? Also I had one question... I recently got a DUI, would this affect in any way me pursuing this career option?

Thanks,
Dy

Re: Becoming a health insurance agent

Dy...now don't take this the wrong way...but how old are you? RE more convenient hours....you may not get that in this business when you start.

And the DUI....that doesn't help.

The good? You seem energetic and motivated. That helps.

I have enjoyed all of this information in one place. I am a new agent, this forum has given me the information I need to started on the right foot.

:)

This thread is chock full of information! Great reading for a newbie like me! I got off the phone with Scott from Health Choice One and am very happy with the conversation.

Thanks Guru! The effort you and everyone here puts forth is greatly appreciated!

Adam

Man, I gotta say, this forum is very very very informative. I have been reading just about every post I can find for the last 48 hours (I don't really require sleep, which from what I can from reading these posts is a plus for this industry). I have learned more about the realities of insurance sales then I ever could of from reading a book on insurance or what they would have taught me at MEGA ( the company I almost signed with until I read this forum). I just can keep from the feeling that every new item I learn pops up 10 new questions in my head.

Quick question. I take my health and life exam next week. I will pass, when I am not reading this forum I am studying. Anywho..when I pass the test I will have my health and life license.......now what? I have been in sales for 5 years as an independent contractor. Should I take a stab at going Indi with a mentor or find a broker to work for. And if I go for a job where do I even find them. I looked on monster and career builder but all I could find was mutual of omaha and UGA. Any advice would be helpful.

Health agent, I was hoping it would be you who replied to my post. You seem like one of the most experienced posters on this site.......either that or you just post on the site from moms basement constantly :). I look forward to joining your association in the coming weeks and becoming your 451st member.

- Sam

A most excellent resource list! THis should be printed as a Bible of sorts for new agents. Especially the part about being an entrepreneur and treating it like it is your own business, because it is!

Back