Best State to Start Insurance Career?

Now that is funny!

I am going to miss Missouri and all the wonderful people who live here. I just hope people in FL have as good a sense of humor. If not I will perish there.

I take what I do very seriously but if I can't have fun doing it I need to go to Walmart and apply for a job as a greeter. :D

I bet you would be a great greeter. :yes::laugh:

ME?

I'd pick a state with no state Income Tax!:) Why, because I'd plan on making a lot of money & who wants to pay more in taxes

TX would get my vote for that reason.

ME?

I'd pick a state with no state Income Tax!:) Why, because I'd plan on making a lot of money & who wants to pay more in taxes

TX would get my vote for that reason.

Doesn't matter which state you're in when you can write off EVERYTHING!! Make sure to keep track of milage, food receipts, housing costs (if home office), utilities, clothing expenses, internet, cell phone, home phone, office supplies, etc, etc.

Doesn't matter which state you're in when you can write off EVERYTHING!! Make sure to keep track of milage, food receipts, housing costs (if home office), utilities, clothing expenses, internet, cell phone, home phone, office supplies, etc, etc.

Well,
I was born & raised in Missouri so you would need to Show Me a better example of how to avoid taxes than to just write off everything:laugh:

At some point I would hope that you can make more money than you can write off! I want to build wealth, not just spend every dime I make. I would hope you would too.

In the early stages of building a business one does spend all the money they make to achieve momentum in the business. But you had better be focused on making a Profit After expenses IF you plan on growing and/or having an exit strategy some day.

Otherwise you just have a low paying JOB & might as well work for someone else IMHO.

I Reserve the Right to get Smarter! :idea:

I would vote for Texas. A growing state with less regulation and tax. The only thing you need to consider is whether you already have a lot of connections in CA. Those are very helpful to get your business started.

Hi all,
First post. I have been reading the forum for the past few months and it has been extremely helpful. A little background about me. I am 51 and single, and have been in financial services most of my career in California. I started in banking and did a bit of Long term care insurance many years ago. (Not currently licensed anymore.) I made good money the last decade in real estate finance but that is no longer a viable career path. I have been on commission most of my working life and know how to prospect for clients. Lately, with the current cost of living so high here in Los Angeles, I am thinking about starting my insurance career in Austin, TX or Las Vegas, or is California where I should stay. I have friends and family in all three places. But if I go to Texas or Nevada my living expenses would be cut in half. I have two years or more in savings so I am prepared for a $15,000 first year if it happens. My plan is to obtain my life and health lic and start with med supps and FE. Then on to LTC and annuities. Ready to make a decision soon. Thoughts, ideas, or suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Thanks all for the great input. So if I go ahead and get the California Life and Health Lic, and then decide to move to Nevada or Texas, will I have to retest again in those states? I assume I also could continue to do business in California once I moved.
My only concern about the move to Texas or Nevada is my health insurance. I am with Kaiser now on an individual plan. They are not in Texas or Nevada. So I would have to find a new provider. My goal is to land with a independent agency, or work on my own. If I go with an independent, will I be offered better rates on my health insurance? And if I go it alone, how are the individual health plan rates for a 51 year old in Texas and Nevada? Thanks again for the replies.

Stay out of Illinois. We have a hard time keeping our governors out of jail, let alone running an insurance department.

Back