Birthday rule coming to KY

Newby

Guru
5000 Post Club
I just learned that Kentucky will start having the birthday rule for Medicare Supplements starting on January 1st 2024.

I assume they will have GI level of commissions for those sales but not certain of that.

I just learned that Kentucky will start having the birthday rule for Medicare Supplements starting on January 1st 2024.

I assume they will have GI level of commissions for those sales but not certain of that.

I think when they implemented the rule in NV some of the carriers treated those cases as GI and paid reduced commission. Rick would know and I think that is where I heard it.

@Todd King may know as well

They did, but Rick was instrumental in getting that changed. They treat it as OE now and pay full comp. Who knows what KY will try to do.
When the states do that do they let you choose from any plan or does it have to be a plan G or anything specific?

Depends on the state. Some are F&G. Idaho (I think) will allow it to any plan.

Having never worked in a state with birthday/anniversary rules, this raises a question. I have (apparently been mistaken) by thinking the policyholder was not allowed to upgrade . . . could only swap like for like.

If you like your G plan you can keep your G plan . . . or possibly downgrade from an F to a G.

I thought it was like to like as well but that is above my pay grade. I think Frank Stastny said MO was like to like. Dayton should know about CA, so if he says like to like that settles is (at least for CA).

Don will probably know . . . he knows everything

Having never worked in a state with birthday/anniversary rules, this raises a question. I have (apparently been mistaken) by thinking the policyholder was not allowed to upgrade . . . could only swap like for like.

If you like your G plan you can keep your G plan . . . or possibly downgrade from an F to a G.
Illinois Birthday Rule is about useless. Ages 65-75, can change to an equal or lesser policy with no UW, and it has to be with the same carrier.

Back