BNI Group

I compare BNI to joining a frat in college. You are new on campus and don't have any friends, so you buy some relationships in a frat until you are able to make some on your own. Same thing with BNI. Most people start in any business without having much of a network, so they join BNI to buy one until they can build one of their own. After about 6 months I felt that if the people in my group couldn't market their business effectively to the point they have to make it to a 7.00 AM meeting then how could they ever market mine? Then again, that could have just been my particular group.

Smoking Goose when making a referral where I have recognized the opportunity to refer I normally say,"My clients who have had that same issue have given me really good feedback on a fellow by the name of ____ who works with XYZ company. Would you like for me to have him give you a call?"

I have gone to lunch when introducing someone to the CPA, financial adviser, and attorney in the group. I also went with a client to meet the custom home builder in the group.

Other times when a BNI member has asked for a referral to a particular person that I know then I pick up the phone and say,"Hey, ___ at XYZ Company has been trying to connect with you. Super sharp guy and a lot of folks have told me he was super helpful. Would you be able to take his call tomorrow?"

This is the way BNI works. But it takes time to build the relationships and trust level to where you can do this for other members and for them to do the same for you.

Some people get it and some people don't. Network marketing can be very powerful.

Today the heating and air guy turned in $14,000 of closed business from 8 different referrals last week. The printer turned in $6,500 off of 10 referrals.

BNI will not work for everyone because not everyone is geared to have a "givers gain" mentality or the willingness to invest the time to develop the relationships.

Just to throw my last 2 cents in; please think about if it is worth spending the money on something like BNI when you can do the same thing for free.

Sometimes you get what you pay for when the price is free.

And sometimes you get ripped off when you pay hundreds of dollars to hang out with people. :) I agree with you though; I just think most on this board can build their own powerhouse network.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Today I started setting up my own networking group. I secured a meeting place. It's a banquet room in a restaurant. There's no charge, she just asked that everybody order breakfast off the menu. Pretty sweet deal.

We're meeting the last Tuesday of every month. I have 3 business owners on board and a list of several more to contact. I hope to have at least 8-10 by our first meeting and grow to around 25 from there.

If anybody has anymore suggestions, throw em out there.

And sometimes you get ripped off when you pay hundreds of dollars to hang out with people. :) I agree with you though; I just think most on this board can build their own powerhouse network.

I don't disagree. But the accountability and the system that BNI has developed is a large part of why people who participate in BNI have the ability to succeed with that networking structure.

Several pieces of the BNI process are left out when developing your own networking group. Many times, those pieces that are left out are the most important ones which you only understand once that "independent" group has failed.

Heck, even many BNI groups don't succeed to the extent they should because people don't buy-in.

I have been involved in the free networking groups and recently joined a BNI..The free groups do not offer the same caliber of business owners and because their is no skin in the game often times the participants do not even show.

When I switched to BNI, the group I was apart of passed 25-35 referrals per meeting. Unfortunately because I switched from commercial lines to personal lines insurance I had to leave the group and am still in transition.

Obviously it is not for everyone, but they do it right and if you ever have the opportunity to at least sit in on a meeting you will see how it is worlds different from a program that you set up by yourself or where the group is "free"

A lot of it depends on the group. I went to some meetings with a friend who owns a business in a different industry. Their group was considered to be the best out of the 3 or 4 in that area and usually had around 40 members, which is the max, if memory serves. For him the group has been very productive. Part of that is because he's invested the time in it. They exchanged a lot of referrals. I went to another group and I don't recall them exchanging quite as many referrals.

Another thing to keep in mind is that BNI is a big commitment. You have to be there every time or else have to send someone in your place.

Back