Bonnie and Clyde’s debit policies

I can’t tell from the pictures. But in those days, policies were usually written for whatever 5 or 10 cents a week would buy. Probably not much more than a couple hundred dollars, but that would’ve been enough for a funeral & Burial in those days (that’s why the SS death benefit is $255).

When I started in the business, I still had a handful of these nickel & dime policies on my book, although most of those clients had purchased more since their parents originally took these out. But I had one old lady with a .10c weekly premium that insisted I come by every week to pick up her dime, even though she only got a monthly check. I tried and tried to get her to add more coverage, or at least pay me monthly, but she would never budge!:skeptical:
Can't find a face amount but it look as if the premium on one was $35.00 and the other $23.00.. If that be the case, I would say that is by the year..

I’m in West Dallas right now, so I stopped to take my own pictures.

Clyde Barrow childhood home (from across the street):View attachment 5097

Side view of building showing the residence portion that was behind the shop. Looks like some homeless guys may have broken in and are sleeping there. Also notice the “CRIP” gang graffiti. Yeah, still a rough neighborhood.:View attachment 5098

But the neighborhood’s changing. This apartment building across the street hasn’t been here long. Mostly millennials & genXers who like living close to downtown:View attachment 5099

Barrow home current neighbors (the view across from the apt complex):View attachment 5100

Here’s my ugly mug with the Barrow home in the background. I have several clients within just a few blocks of this spot:View attachment 5101

As to your mug... not ugly at all... I am sure your warm smile is much appreciated and looked for by many of your clients...:yes: some of mine even look forward to seeing my shiny head once and a while... :laugh:
I am sure you know better than most here on this forum... our business is more than just white paper, black ink, and green money... it's about people :)

As to your mug... not ugly at all... I am sure your warm smile is much appreciated and looked for by many of your clients...:yes: some of mine even look forward to seeing my shiny head once and a while... :laugh:
I am sure you know better than most here on this forum... our business is more than just white paper, black ink, and green money... it's about people :)
I'll take the green MONEY and let you have the rest. :yes:

I can’t tell from the pictures. But in those days, policies were usually written for whatever 5 or 10 cents a week would buy. Probably not much more than a couple hundred dollars, but that would’ve been enough for a funeral & Burial in those days (that’s why the SS death benefit is $255).

When I started in the business, I still had a handful of these nickel & dime policies on my book, although most of those clients had purchased more since their parents originally took these out. But I had one old lady with a .10c weekly premium that insisted I come by every week to pick up her dime, even though she only got a monthly check. I tried and tried to get her to add more coverage, or at least pay me monthly, but she would never budge!:skeptical:

I had to assist a family 10-15 years ago in cashing in their 90 year old mothers policies like those because of Medicaid Spend down. She had 5-10 of them bought over the years that were bought in the 1910-1925. They were all 5-10cents per week for a couple hundred dollar face amounts. Was sad they had to be cashed in as she passed away just a few months later

I had to assist a family 10-15 years ago in cashing in their 90 year old mothers policies like those because of Medicaid Spend down. She had 5-10 of them bought over the years that were bought in the 1910-1925. They were all 5-10cents per week for a couple hundred dollar face amounts. Was sad they had to be cashed in as she passed away just a few months later

Why didn't they assign them to a funeral trust? I know its a little late now, but could help in the future.

Why didn't they assign them to a funeral trust? I know its a little late now, but could help in the future.

I told them the same thing. however, the family had made many other misteps & wouldn't listen. the biggest misstep is they sold her Condo because they got a great offer for it. Whoops, went from a protected asset to $110,000 of cash.

Finally, something I can actually comment on. These policies were written by American National and can still be viewed. The death claims were paid; which led to the future exclusion of people dying in the act of committing a crime. What do y'all want to know and I'll go find out. They are kept on the top floor of the building. They built a really cool museum with company and local history.

Back