Bonnie and Clyde’s debit policies

Finally, something I can actually comment on. These policies were written by American National and can still be viewed. The death claims were paid; which led to the future exclusion of people dying in the act of committing a crime. What do y'all want to know and I'll go find out. They are kept on the top floor of the building. They built a really cool museum with company and local history.
Health policies exclude thr commission of a crime and thevadd riders exclude it but not life policies.

Good call. You're right. I re-read the rules and they will pay. Maybe that's why companies will hit people with some serious per 1000 flat extras if they have a criminal record

Good call. You're right. I re-read the rules and they will pay. Maybe that's why companies will hit people with some serious per 1000 flat extras if they have a criminal record
Early in my career as a debit staff manager I was covering an open debit. I stopped to collect from a middle aged widow at her apartment in the rough part of town. She wasn’t home, but her 16 year old drug dealer son answered the door and asked how much she owed. Well, she was consistently behind and always paid just enough to keep from lapsing. But I had a feeling he’d have some cash, so I told him the amount to get her current. He pulled a big wad of bills out of his jeans and peeled off the right amount. (I think he was trying to impress the cute girl he’d been making out with on the couch while mom was gone.)

Within a few weeks he was killed in a gun battle. When I went to help the mom with the claim, I told her she’d get $11,000 because she had him covered by a $3k life policy with double indemnity, and a separate $5k accident policy. (She didn’t tell me about the gunfight, just that he’d been shot, and for no good reason!) The company paid right away on the $3k. But they never did pay on the accidental benefits because the police couldn’t say who fired the first shot. Plus the argument was over a drug deal, so he may have been killed in the commission of a felony, although the police report wasn’t conclusive.

Point being, the criminal activity didn’t affect the base life policy, but it caused the accident benefits to be denied.

Good story
Early in my career as a debit staff manager I was covering an open debit. I stopped to collect from a middle aged widow at her apartment in the rough part of town. She wasn’t home, but her 16 year old drug dealer son answered the door and asked how much she owed. Well, she was consistently behind and always paid just enough to keep from lapsing. But I had a feeling he’d have some cash, so I told him the amount to get her current. He pulled a big wad of bills out of his jeans and peeled off the right amount. (I think he was trying to impress the cute girl he’d been making out with on the couch while mom was gone.)

Within a few weeks he was killed in a gun battle. When I went to help the mom with the claim, I told her she’d get $11,000 because she had him covered by a $3k life policy with double indemnity, and a separate $5k accident policy. (She didn’t tell me about the gunfight, just that he’d been shot, and for no good reason!) The company paid right away on the $3k. But they never did pay on the accidental benefits because the police couldn’t say who fired the first shot. Plus the argument was over a drug deal, so he may have been killed in the commission of a felony, although the police report wasn’t conclusive.

Point being, the criminal activity didn’t affect the base life policy, but it caused the accident benefits to be denied.
Good story

What a dramatic story! Life on the street, "around the corner", so to speak, from "THE gas station"? I don't think I would have the courage to be wandering those streets.

(I think there was a song about that--chorus of "a momma cried" or something like that.)

I'm pretty sure the law basically states that you cannot profit from insurance while committing a crime. Since it is life insurance and they die....THEY did not profit.

I'm pretty sure the law basically states that you cannot profit from insurance while committing a crime. Since it is life insurance and they die....THEY did not profit.

Now there's an interesting technicality.:laugh:

I’m in West Dallas right now, so I stopped to take my own pictures.

Clyde Barrow childhood home (from across the street):View attachment 5097

Side view of building showing the residence portion that was behind the shop. Looks like some homeless guys may have broken in and are sleeping there. Also notice the “CRIP” gang graffiti. Yeah, still a rough neighborhood.:View attachment 5098

But the neighborhood’s changing. This apartment building across the street hasn’t been here long. Mostly millennials & genXers who like living close to downtown:View attachment 5099

Barrow home current neighbors (the view across from the apt complex):View attachment 5100

Here’s my ugly mug with the Barrow home in the background. I have several clients within just a few blocks of this spot:View attachment 5101
This afternoon I happened to be in that West Dallas neighborhood where the above pictures were taken. As I drove by, I noticed that the Clyde Barrow home has been removed. From the looks of the vacant lot, it had to have been torn down more than a few months ago.

Back