Can An Accident Make You A Better Driver?

Safeway

Hey. New member here. I have a specific question. (TL;DR Question in the title.)

Backstory

I've been driving for about 20 years and was in my first auto accident in early 2019. It was extremely minor. I was approaching a traffic light before dawn and the driver in front of me came to a quick stop instead of turning as I had anticipated based on their blinker and choice of lane. I was paying full attention, saw this, and slammed on the breaks. My car hit a patch of black ice and slid into the back of the car. Very minor damage.

While my car only suffered a few minor scratches, I was devastated. It's been such a stressful time and an emotional roller-coaster. When I reported the accident, I was handed a claims number in the reporting center as they deal directly with my insurance company. My insurance company was great at first helping me through the claims process for about 3 months or so but then the claims adjuster screwed up so I called him on it. I very politely told him he needed to fix the situation with my claim and get back to me but haven't heard back from him in nearly 14 or so month now.

While I wait for him to get back to me so I know how to repair my car, I've noticed a trend. I think about the accident several times a day and my spare time has gone towards researching insurance stuff.

When my insurance renewed I noticed I was paying about 15% higher premium even though the claim still sits at $0. While I can handle this, it's what I noticed next that's got me the most concerned and made me question things.

Today

I noticed the other day that, ever since the accident, I've been a much better driver. I don't think I was too bad before but I know I was more risky (running yellow lights, or driving a little fast). Since the accident, my driving habits have improved greatly as I'm petrified of another accident. I hate the thought of going through this years long process I'm still dealing with again and/or inconveniencing the would be other driver. Now I do the speed limit all the time, leave tons of space, give plenty of time to get to my destination, never get road rage, and never get too close to another car for fear of sliding again, even outside of winter. I drive much less then before the accident. I even avoid the intersection where the accident happened. I realized I'm now slightly terrified of driving... but it's a mandatory part of my day to day. The stress of the accident still impacts my everyday life; each and every day. Because of this, I'm hypersensitive to my driving, my surroundings, driving as defensively as I can. I mean, I noticed that I don't even listen to the radio anymore to avoid any distractions. I've actually gotten comments from passengers about how safe they feel riding with me. (Some not so nice as I'm going "too slow" lol)

However, I'm paying higher premiums as my insurance company must think that because an accident happened once, it's more likely to happen again. At least that's my theory. I didn't realize it until the other night but I think it's the complete reverse for me. I feel I'm much less likely to cause an accident. This has been driving me bonkers as it feels like I'm being punished with higher premiums for something that actually lowered the risk. I can't be alone here.

So my question is, do you think accidents actually make drivers more safe?
I feel like it was such a shock to my system that all I can do is be a better driver.

Would I be paying higher premiums as my insurance company thinks I'll get in another accident or is it to recover the amount they could paid out to fix my car?

I'd love to know what the higher premium means as I feel I'm a lower risk then before and all of my insurance research over the past 14 months has made me understand insurance is all about risks and their management.

Sorry for the long post but I'd love some feedback

Banks, insurance companies, the judicial system, and recruiters, right or wrong, treat you based on your past, not how you feel, unfortunately.

Insurance relies heavily on statistics. You had an accident and are statistically more likely to have another. Your claim shows as open because the other driver has not settled and your carrier generally doesnt share what is going on from the medical end, only the property end. You are more cautious because you realize you were not giving full attention or anticipation to what the other driver could do.

Banks, insurance companies, the judicial system, and recruiters, right or wrong, treat you based on your past, not how you feel, unfortunately.
Yes, sorry. That's not now I meant it. Of course insurance is not how I feel. It's all stats. But that's what blows me away. How can one not learn from their mistakes? If a person is in an accident that automatically means they will be in another?? It just shocks me that a situation like this wouldn't make you want to try hard to avoid it ever happening again. I see no viable scenario where I'd want to re-live this. In fact, I worry that if someone were to ever hit me, I'd want to flee the scene as I never want to deal with my insurance company again.
I just don't know how, even statistically, that the same driver wouldn't want to avoid this at all costs after living through it once.

Insurance relies heavily on statistics. You had an accident and are statistically more likely to have another. Your claim shows as open because the other driver has not settled and your carrier generally doesnt share what is going on from the medical end, only the property end. You are more cautious because you realize you were not giving full attention or anticipation to what the other driver could do.
Yes, my 20 years of driving lead me to statistics that when someone's in the left turning lane at an advanced green light that they are going to turn left. Now I know that they could stop. But that's what I mean. I've learned from it, I've grown. I'm just shocked that stats apparently prove that it has a higher chance of happening again. I have no desire to go through this ever again and don't know how others don't feel the same enough to change their driving habits. I thought I was a safe driving before, but now, much safer. I can't be alone in taking this course of action.

Your premium will be affected for the next 3 years because of your At Fault accident. Stop worrying about what has happened and focus on what could happen. Always be aware of how many cars are around you and always give yourself an out for any situation that could result from someone else's inattention. Accidents hapoen to the best of us.

Your premium will be affected for the next 3 years because of your At Fault accident. Stop worrying about what has happened and focus on what could happen. Always be aware of how many cars are around you and always give yourself an out for any situation that could result from someone else's inattention. Accidents hapoen to the best of us.
Yes, I agree. I'm not worried about my premium, I'm not upset in the sense that I can't pay it or shouldn't have to or any boo hoo's like that and I know how long I will be impacted based on my research.
As mentioned I'm hyper-focused on what could happen when I drive now. I've noticed that I drive much better now because of the accident and find it odd that statistically, others don't. I just don't understand how someone doesn't become better by something like this, to the point the statistical risk is higher of another accident.
I mean, if I cut my hand on a knife while washing dishes, I'd be more careful in the future not to do it again, I wouldn't expect it to happen more often as it happened once as I'd learn from my mistake. Is that just an old school mentality? Is no one really like this anymore? That's what's eating me up inside.

Statistically most people learn from their mistake and pay better attention for a short period of time after an accident. Many stop thinking about what happened and resort back to their old ways of driving after 6 months or so. A good slap on the wrists is all it takes for some to learn a lesson. For others it could require a few slaps in the face.

Statistically most people learn from their mistake and pay better attention for a short period of time after an accident. Many stop thinking about what happened and resort back to their old ways of driving after 6 months or so. A good slap on the wrists is all it takes for some to learn a lesson. For others it could require a few slaps in the face.
Wow, that's crazy. Okay, thanks for the input. It makes me feel better, or at least understand more. Yea, I can't not learn from my mistakes. I never want to feel like this again. It's why I don't drink, I got hungover once back in collage and told myself never again and it's never happened again and I'm in my 40's now.
It's sad to say but maybe I am in the minority with my thinking.
Thanks again, I appreciate your input. :)

Fed Up is right. Statistically speaking, the most predictive indicator of future crashes is past crashes. A less predictive indicator is night-time driving so if you cut down on predawn driving you will cut down on your risk. With your claim, it is highly unusual to have an auto claim-- even one with injuries-- open this long.

Back