Canvassing Businesses

I almost always canvas the neighboring businesses when I am on appts. I search companies that are near the appt I am going to and bring that data with me. I bring a sell sheet with me with my card stapled and drop it off. Sometimes I call before heading out and say I am meeting with the xyz company next door at 9am and wanted to know if you had just a few minutes to talk if I stopped in.

Also, I am always keeping my eyes open. I always look at businesses when I am driving and try to notice companies with a lot of cars in the employee parking lots.

Plus, out of all people, business owners are more naturally accepting of cold solicitation, as their nature is the same as the solicitor's -- to make a profit.

So, let me get this straight. You are in a meeting with the team, ready to ship product out the door, under a deadline, when in walks a dapper dressed stranger, who knows NOTHING about you or your business, and you are going to stop the meeting to talk to him/her, JUST BECAUSE YOU, LIKE HIM/HER, ARE OUT MAKE A PROFIT?!

:err:

So, let me get this straight. You are in a meeting with the team, ready to ship product out the door, under a deadline, when in walks a dapper dressed stranger, who knows NOTHING about you or your business, and you are going to stop the meeting to talk to him/her, JUST BECAUSE YOU, LIKE HIM/HER, ARE OUT MAKE A PROFIT?!

Where do you get any of that out of what he posted? In a meeting with a deadline? :err:

Do you think all small business owners are at their desks, feet up, waiting for us to arrive?

Or for us to call? No. That's the problem with using the word "all".

Prospecting is about putting the law of averages to work for us. Our job is to smile and "roll with the punches". Sometimes, you'll get one. The more you go through, the more 'luck' you'll have.

But if you NEVER make an attempt, you'll never get one.

I am consistently amazed how many successful business owners will give me time to talk and have a conversation. If they are too busy, they will let you know or brush you off. To Reardon's point, many are in sales or were in a sales role and don't look at it as a negative.

Bob,

First, my perspective explained. Next, a personal experience.

When cold prospecting, all I'm thinking is that I'm looking for "my guy."

"My guy" who will engage in a conversation about what I'm offering, and give me an opportunity to add value to his business or personal life.

The "secret sauce" in finding my guy? Cold knocking or cold calling enough doors to wade past the rejection to find the one who's interested.

Now, my experience.

Prior to selling final expense, I ran a personal training business.

I would have the occasional cold prospector; typically, I would shoo them away, and get back to business.

However, this one guy walked in, right at the worst time.

I was training three of my clients at once, I had a few more coming in momentarily, and this sales guy walks in unannounced.

He introduces himself, and describes himself as a health insurance agent.

I listen to his pitch a little.

Turns out my COBRA plan was expiring and I had no idea what I needed to do to get a policy with comparable coverage -- my wife is pacemaker dependent, and we had a small child at the time.

I told him, amidst all the commotion with my business, that I REALLY am interested and want to talk to him.

Turns out he had my health insurance business for 3 years, just from a cold call, which was done probably at the worst time of the day.

I'm glad I didn't have my head up my arse and send the guy packing.

I think most of the time those signs are put up to ward off the Jehovah Witnesses and magazine salesmen and not for professional licensed agents (laugh). On a personal note, I've changed my approach. Now when someone comes to the door I just say..."Hi, I'm just handing out business cards...I don't bite". You can just watch the sigh of relief coming from them. They lose their 'wall of defense' right away. Then I tell them who I am and what I do (I don't "sell" anything...I help people). If they want to talk I'll go out to the car and bring in 'my stuff'. By that time you get inside you have someone really interested. Works for me....

This is a great approach. If anyone us interested in cold walking business they may want to check out the Topgunproducers forum as it is full of great posts on this topic.

Last edited:
Back