Change of Agent on Delivery

tlmarketing

Guru
100+ Post Club
I've only seen this a couple of times working for a BGA, but an agent I help on cases from time to time just got hosed on a case....Worked hard on it, got the offer, mailed policy for delivery and the insured gave it to his friend/agent to resubmit and get paid on it

Has this ever happened to you? If so, how have you handled the client and agent afterwards?

I've only seen this a couple of times working for a BGA, but an agent I help on cases from time to time just got hosed on a case....Worked hard on it, got the offer, mailed policy for delivery and the insured gave it to his friend/agent to resubmit and get paid on it

Has this ever happened to you? If so, how have you handled the client and agent afterwards?

He should call underwriting. I' don't think many companies will allow this to happen.

Yes companies generally don't care who writes it as long as it gets placed.

The client decided that they liked the other agent better for some reason. You move on. Something allowed that other agent to get in the door, that's where I would focus my thoughts to determine what went wrong to make the client choose the other agent.

Yes companies generally don't care who writes it as long as it gets placed.

The client decided that they liked the other agent better for some reason. You move on. Something allowed that other agent to get in the door, that's where I would focus my thoughts to determine what went wrong to make the client choose the other agent.

According to the original post, it was a friend. There really isn't a lot you can do, sometimes they are throwing the friend a bone.

Personally, I'd just move on. If it is a friend or relative, odds are they are going to be out of the business in a year. You could go back at that time and try to reestablish the relationship. If there is the potential for other business it might be worth it. Really, I'd just move on unless they contacted me. They have already shown what little value they place upon your services once, why give them a second chance?

According to the original post, it was a friend. There really isn't a lot you can do, sometimes they are throwing the friend a bone.

Personally, I'd just move on. If it is a friend or relative, odds are they are going to be out of the business in a year. You could go back at that time and try to reestablish the relationship. If there is the potential for other business it might be worth it. Really, I'd just move on unless they contacted me. They have already shown what little value they place upon your services once, why give them a second chance?

I agree with everything you said. Wonder why the friend didn't do it from the beginning?

I agree with everything you said. Wonder why the friend didn't do it from the beginning?

Friend was probably new and didn't know how to get the case approved. Or just started and contacted the client once the process was rolling. Any number of reasons really.

I have been on both sides of this.

I have had people ask me to be their agent and I have taken over an app in underwriting. They just felt I was a better agent for them.

I also had a deal I worked back and forth with a guy for better part of a year. wanted it, then didn't. Finally got the go ahead. I had written him before this was replacing myself. Just under $7,000 AP at 115%. I mail him the app schedule the exam. No more contact from him. I find out he did a exam but I am not the agent. Find out it is his golf buddy. Ticked me off. I told him if his buddy had been a good agent I would have never been talking to him. He said yeah I know you are a better agent but this will be the last policy I will buy so he should get it.:mad: You shake it off and move on.

Sometimes I run into this and I basically let it go. It happens about once or twice a year. It is really important up front to know if your prospect has any family or friends in the business because often you'll find you're doing their busywork.

So try and find out. When I get into conversations with prospects even those who contact me for quotes and they begin to talk about their friend the agent who has handled their family business for 20 years, I tend to shut down my efforts and ask why are you talking to me? " I want to check his work, I have a doubt." Ok, fine. Let's say I do the work and you take it to your friend and he can do it for you as well, does he still get the business? The longer the pause, even if the prospect says I do, tells me he really doesn't want to change agents, he just wants another agent to approve of what his agent did for him.

All good points...I agree that you have to forget about it and move to the next case....tough lessons to learn on a $5k case...too bad insurance industry doesnt pay on a "percentage of completion" of case!!

Back