Christian Health Ministries

This is ridiculous. A self-funded trust is NOT a fully insured contract. Run into too many claims and rates go up. Healthy people drop off and rates go up more until only the sickos are covered. The plan crashes somewhere along the line and the insureds without access to other coverage are stuck without insurance. The plan going out of business is likely not a qualifying event because it isn't a complying plan to begin with.

Carriers and TPAs used to require 100 members to write a self-funded plan. Now, with the craziness in the market, I've seen that down to 2 members (subject to underwriting of course). I've had groups and consequently data on 1,000 - 2,000 member cases. The carriers all said that claims were 100% credible. I ran the regression and found at best a 65% credibility but only when looking at a rolling 2 year period. Looking at a rolling 1 year period claims were only ~ 35% credible with a huge standard deviation. Renewals were basically using the WAG method of estimation backed up by the SWAG method. Present it with a straight face and your client may believe you.

It is unlikely that you have access to the claims data of any plan other than the one you are the current agent on. You cannot tell whether the plan is solid or ready to go down the tubes.

Looking at the link above, Cigna isn't doing anything against it's own best interest. Cigna has an idea of what claims will come from the offered plan. Cigna is also likely separated from liability and perfectly willing to provide administrative services since it isn't on the hook if things go south. Us this for someone who has no other options but don't ever sell it as insurance or a product with guarantees.

Missio Benefits insures thousands of members from Christian employers throughout the US. 40% of its enrollment are Christian missionaries in other nations. All participating groups have the same rates and get the same renewal. It is structured to transform the body of Christ into one of the largest single global/domestic employer groups in the world. Time will tell my friends. Peace.

Several years ago, my wife and I sold stuff at fleamarkets. It was lots of fun and profitable. I remind my Christian brethren that one of the rules of doing business in the fleamarket was to NEVER take a check with any religious symbol at all. Unfortunately, Christians lie, cheat, adulter just as much as ano other group of people.

The subject of this thread is nowhere near insurance and has lots of risks to the insureds and any agent promoting them.

Ask your Jewish friends how well their Bernie Madoff investments turned out. They looked so sweet- for a time - and some made money. Others not so much.

One Sunday, I was skipping church and communing with nature by riding my bike out in the country. I was almost run over by a Christian. I knew because it was 10:00 and she was in a hurry- and by the fish sticker on the window. Let your lite shine but don't wear it on your sleeve.

There is so much disinformation in this thread that I am led to believe it is meant to ward people off from evil.

Everyone should know that the industry being referred to is Healthcare Sharing or Healthcare Sharing Ministries. (HCSM) There are about 100 of them across our nation and not all are Christian-based.
Some are Catholic only, for instance.

Much of what has been posted in this thread are anecdotes with no details.
"Man needed a knee operation and the charge was $12,000 and his plan only paid $4,000"
Questions: After only 4 months? Was it pre-existing? How long was the waiting period on his plan? There are so many more questions.

Almost all of the threads paint scenarios such as this. My guess is that most of what has been said is from the rumor mills.
Oh, by the way, out of the 100+ HCSM's out there, only about 6, or maybe 7 by now, are approved by CMS (the Admin for Medicare & Medicaid & ACA) These 6, or 7, are PART OF THE AFFORDABLE CARE ACT and are approved by CMS. They ARE regulated; just not by each individual state. They are audited ANNUALLY.

Still, every one of these organizations operate differently from the others. Each have their own rules; their own member health plans. No two are the same. Are there some sketchy people in this industry. Do you know an industry without sketchy people? Even in the churches and synagogues. Folks, as it says in Isaiah v 10:18. "There is NO ONE RIGHTEOUS, no, not one." There are pros & cons in each plan, just as there is with Obamacare.

One fellow says it's not insurance and they don't guarantee payment on claims. True, but he actually left the best part out. I know of an HCSM company that has paid all eligible claims for over 20 years straight! I can trust a company with that kind of history. Even many things that I buy online I check out the VERIFIED CUSTOMER reviews. My guess is that most of the complaints in this thread are not from Verified Customers.

One of my customers has an opinion whether they are insurance or not. He says, "Fred, it walks like a duck and quacks like one as as far as I'm concerned." When someone asks me about HCSM's I let them know that I've checked out most of those that are available today.

Another person said there are no PPO's and no discounts. Those HCSM's I avoid because there are enough of those that use PPO's and who average 60-75% discounts for customers.

Folks, I just wanted to take this occasion to dispel some myths. I represent 3 of the top HCSM's and have for years. I also represent the private, under 65 health plans, lovingly? referred to as Obamacare. When quoted, some choose Obamacare, but many, many more choose the HCSM and it lower rates and no annual increases.

Anyone out there may visit my web site for answers to other questions or contact me at the Contact page.
I won't tell you which one is for you; I'll give you enough info to decide for yourself!

Fred Fortson @ www.helpinsureus.com

Approved by CMS my ass. They are only approved as being in existence before Obamacare started and therefore avoided the penalty only, which has since gone to zero. They did NOT approve it as a bonafide health insurance plan.

Keep selling this shit and pray to your god your clients dont use it.

Call any doctor or hospital, not one "accepts" these plans when services are needed

There is so much disinformation in this thread that I am led to believe it is meant to ward people off from evil.

Everyone should know that the industry being referred to is Healthcare Sharing or Healthcare Sharing Ministries. (HCSM) There are about 100 of them across our nation and not all are Christian-based.
Some are Catholic only, for instance.

Much of what has been posted in this thread are anecdotes with no details.
"Man needed a knee operation and the charge was $12,000 and his plan only paid $4,000"
Questions: After only 4 months? Was it pre-existing? How long was the waiting period on his plan? There are so many more questions.

Almost all of the threads paint scenarios such as this. My guess is that most of what has been said is from the rumor mills.
Oh, by the way, out of the 100+ HCSM's out there, only about 6, or maybe 7 by now, are approved by CMS (the Admin for Medicare & Medicaid & ACA) These 6, or 7, are PART OF THE AFFORDABLE CARE ACT and are approved by CMS. They ARE regulated; just not by each individual state. They are audited ANNUALLY.

Still, every one of these organizations operate differently from the others. Each have their own rules; their own member health plans. No two are the same. Are there some sketchy people in this industry. Do you know an industry without sketchy people? Even in the churches and synagogues. Folks, as it says in Isaiah v 10:18. "There is NO ONE RIGHTEOUS, no, not one." There are pros & cons in each plan, just as there is with Obamacare.

One fellow says it's not insurance and they don't guarantee payment on claims. True, but he actually left the best part out. I know of an HCSM company that has paid all eligible claims for over 20 years straight! I can trust a company with that kind of history. Even many things that I buy online I check out the VERIFIED CUSTOMER reviews. My guess is that most of the complaints in this thread are not from Verified Customers.

One of my customers has an opinion whether they are insurance or not. He says, "Fred, it walks like a duck and quacks like one as as far as I'm concerned." When someone asks me about HCSM's I let them know that I've checked out most of those that are available today.

Another person said there are no PPO's and no discounts. Those HCSM's I avoid because there are enough of those that use PPO's and who average 60-75% discounts for customers.

Folks, I just wanted to take this occasion to dispel some myths. I represent 3 of the top HCSM's and have for years. I also represent the private, under 65 health plans, lovingly? referred to as Obamacare. When quoted, some choose Obamacare, but many, many more choose the HCSM and it lower rates and no annual increases.

Anyone out there may visit my web site for answers to other questions or contact me at the Contact page.
I won't tell you which one is for you; I'll give you enough info to decide for yourself!

Fred Fortson @ www.helpinsureus.com

Do you tell your clients there are no guarantees that they have to pay?

Responding to some previous comments -

The questions all relate to whether or not the prospective client is INFORMED about the difference in OBAMACARE and HCSM's. Personally, that part of the HCSM's is pointed out on multiple occasions, but it is also pointed out the records that the companies I represent have in meeting their obligations.
Fellow agents, we are going to have to just disagree as to whether these plans put out by HCSM's are any good. The TWO categories of plans we are discussing ARE NOT EQUAL! If OBAMACARE was not so top-heavy, thus so expensive, we would not be talking about this - but it is. After all, why do 80% of those who get OBAMACARE have to be subsidized?

My market is small business owners and most will not qualify for that subsidy.
People are accepting the HCSM's for their family because they are willing to accept the risks. It is their CHOICE. You may not like their choice and so you attempt to smear me - "you're not telling them everything" or rebuking using the "my god" argument. So, only YOU can make the right decision for your clients? Sort of arrogant, isn't it?

HCSM's are fully aware of their soft spots and are continually looking for ways to ensure that agents are not leaving out these issues.Do some agents fail to do so?? Way before OBAMACARE this was a burning issue on an array of topics. For whatever reason, there have always been challenges of agents not providing critical info about the policies they sold and thus the state agencies had to get involved. Years ago, a very good friend of mine got caught up in rewriting deals in a way that he won and not the client. It was immoral, but he did get caught and he's no longer an agent. And this was before most of us even heard of HCSM.
If what I convey to people during a presentation of HCSM's does not comfort them, then this product is probably not for them and I can offer them OBAMACARE. Most will assume the risks because when you're taking about a $10,000+ difference per year in the cost, it is worth discussing it.

Back