Christian Health Ministries

Once again......
Department Issues Cease and Desist Order to Protect California Consumers from Misleading Health Plans Known as ‘Health Care Sharing Ministries’

OAKLAND, Calif. — The California Department of Insurance issued a Cease and Desist order effective immediately against Aliera Healthcare, Inc., and Trinity Healthshares, Inc., for violating California law by misleading California consumers regarding their products and transacting insurance business without a certificate of authority from the Insurance Commissioner.

The Department warns consumers that these misleading lookalike health plans marketed as “health care sharing ministries” do not comply with California laws to protect consumers. These plans were marketed as cheaper alternatives to traditional coverage when, in reality, they do not provide comprehensive coverage for pre-existing conditions and other coverage as required by state and federal laws. Up to 11,000 Californians may belong to unapproved plans offered by these two entities.

“Consumers who bought these plans thinking they purchased comprehensive health insurance deserve the full protection of our laws,” said Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara. “Consumers should know they may be able to get comprehensive coverage through Covered California that will protect their health care rights.”

Consumers who purchased coverage through Aliera Healthcare, Inc. or Trinity Healthshares, Inc. should contact Covered California at 855-295-2023, to determine if they have experienced a qualifying life event that entitles them to a special enrollment opportunity. Consumers are encouraged to contact the Department of Insurance’s Hotline at 800-927-4357 to learn about their options or to file a complaint if they were faced with unexpected costs or other problems with Aliera Healthcare, Trinity Healthshares, or any other health care sharing ministry plan.

The Department’s Cease and Desist Order alleges that Aliera and Trinity provided misleading training to sales agents, promoted misleading advertisements to California consumers, and sold products that do not cover preexisting conditions, abortion and/or contraception, or comply with the federal Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act, which is in violation of Insurance Code section 10112.27, Insurance Code section 10198.7, and the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Deceptive marketing practices may have pressured some consumers to purchase a health sharing ministry plan, thinking they had missed the deadline for purchasing coverage through Covered California.

The Cease and Desist Order prohibits Aliera and Trinity from immediately transacting insurance in California, including advertising or receiving any money, commission, fee, rebate, payment, remuneration, or any other valuable consideration whatsoever, in connection with any insurance transactions.

What you see here is someone with a single-minded view. It's his side or you must be wrong. He will show you a company (in this case, Aliera) that was caught in the wrong and he then puts all such like companies in the same batch. In truth, that doesn't really work anywhere in this world. True, this particular company had a "fox in the hen house" and before the government knew about it at all there were those within the company who began to fight against it. But does he explain that to you? No.

Any agent who has been around awhile can do the same for many actual insurance companies that went through the same sort of thing. Anthem about 12 years ago. Aetna about 10 years ago. I can name at least half a dozen others. I represented them during their struggles. What did I do as well as many other career agents? We put them on hold while they worked out their issues; picked them up again when we were comfortable they had fixed the issue(s).

Folks, beware of FAKE NEWS where they do not tell the entire story but leave out sections of the story to meet their own narrative. Not everyone in out to get you.

Folks, beware of FAKE NEWS where they do not tell the entire story but leave out sections of the story to meet their own narrative. Not everyone in out to get you.

yea.....California Department of Insurance website is fake news.....

What you see here is someone with a single-minded view. It's his side or you must be wrong. He will show you a company (in this case, Aliera) that was caught in the wrong and he then puts all such like companies in the same batch. In truth, that doesn't really work anywhere in this world. True, this particular company had a "fox in the hen house" and before the government knew about it at all there were those within the company who began to fight against it. But does he explain that to you? No.

Any agent who has been around awhile can do the same for many actual insurance companies that went through the same sort of thing. Anthem about 12 years ago. Aetna about 10 years ago. I can name at least half a dozen others. I represented them during their struggles. What did I do as well as many other career agents? We put them on hold while they worked out their issues; picked them up again when we were comfortable they had fixed the issue(s).

Why do you choose NOT to offer your clients a major medical insurance option.
Specifically, Short term medical plans for a similar price to Ministry plans with better financial protection for future events?
What other health products do you sell?
Do you sell ACA plans? STM plans?

Why do you choose NOT to offer your clients a major medical insurance option.
Specifically, Short term medical plans for a similar price to Ministry plans with better financial protection for future events?
What other health products do you sell?
Do you sell ACA plans? STM plans?
I think he’s made it pretty clear he sells ACA plans. I’m assuming he’s a broad based health insurance agent that also offers HCSM’s.

I can attest that at least two of the HCSM’s of which I’ve been a member, definitely keep their commitments. My wife had VERY expensive surgery in 2006 which came up only a few months after we’d joined Samaritan Ministries. The membership took care of 100% of it. Our “share” at that time would have been $300, but we also got some credit for being able to negotiate some discounts, so our out of pocket was actually ZERO $!

Several years later we were members of Christian Healthcare Ministries when she needed cataract surgery that was complicated by another eye problem. Our total out of pocket was about $200 for several thousand dollars in actual cost for treatment, surgery, and follow up.

So, say what you will about HCSM’s in general, but as @helpinsureus has stated, the 3 or 4 oldest ones enjoy an excellent reputation.

Back