Cigna Health

Re: Cigna commissions

Sti's high school jersey.

Can someone please explain to me the technical definition of "Managed Choice" as Aetna's new plans (some areas) are named as such.

Maybe I missed the training seminar.

Sti's high school jersey.

Can someone please explain to me the technical definition of "Managed Choice" as Aetna's new plans (some areas) are named as such.

Maybe I missed the training seminar.

and it would be on Thurday morning....thats my weekly oldman skateboard sesh. from 9:30 to 12....thats going to be a tough call........

Dear Scott Thiltgen,
BenefitMall is pleased to invite you to an Aetna new product meeting and Continuing Education (CE) opportunity on July 17th.
The meeting will focus on an update of today's health insurance market and the new plans Aetna is introducing to accommodate the evolving market. A one hour CE will be included on "The Private and Public Partnership of Healthcare Reform" followed by an introduction of Aetna's new plans focused on consumer choice.
Here are the details:
Date: Thursday, July 17, 2008 Meeting: 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. Location: Marie Callender’s
Banquet Room
9503 Research Blvd., Ste. 400
Austin, TX 78759
A Breakfast Buffet will be included.

Last edited:

Aetna has numerous networks, and I believe it ties back in to the network. Here in GA they switched networks (as did H1 last year) from a statewide network to one of their national networks. This opened up more counties and lowered rates in some cases.

H1 uses their national POS network which is much larger, and has greater discounts, than the old PPO only network.

I suspect Aetna is doing likewise.

Generally POS networks have lower reimbursement due to the number of HMO providers in the network. Lower reimbursement means lower rates.

I encourage all agents to think long and hard about level 10 commissions and your business and your family. It is a joke. Cigna is no BX and they will never be a volume player at level 10.

Agents are hard up for cash for the most part. Level 10 will only attract the older established low volume players sending adverse health.

Unless they have some crazy bonus program or I an missing something level 10 they will give Celtic a run for their money.

I encourage all agents to think long and hard about level 10 commissions and your business and your family. It is a joke. Cigna is no BX and they will never be a volume player at level 10.

Agents are hard up for cash for the most part. Level 10 will only attract the older established low volume players sending adverse health.

Unless they have some crazy bonus program or I an missing something level 10 they will give Celtic a run for their money.

rates will dictate the market......if it close no problem....if ehealth is showing rates you best be contracted and have a good reason....

Just be glad your state has a viable Individual health market...I'm in Maine and guaranteed issue has killed the market up here.

Charlie, I can't imagine anyone ever accusing you of being arrogant . . .

Aetna came to town 3 years ago. It was easy to discount them as a play due to some limitations in their policy, and their pricing was mediocre to outrageous.

We are just starting our 4th yr with Aetna and they finally have a decent product . . . some times. I wrote maybe a dozen or so cases with them in the last 18 months. Depending on what the market does over the next 6 months or so I might double that production or more.

Still not a major player but they are gradually coming around.

If Cigna comes here it remains to be seen what kind of splash they make.

Coventy came barrelling in 14 months ago and wrote almost everything that wasn't nailed down for 90 days then they got religion. They still have killer rates but what they show on the front end goes away once it gets to underwriting.

Can't figure out why agents still use them. You can't get anything placed due to underwriting rate ups. Even if you do place it, billing will mess it up on the back end.

I don't see Coventry ever being a major factor here.

Or Aetna.

Or Cigna.

They will capture a small piece of the market but not enough to worry about.

I will write business with Aetna but never again with Coventry. I really don't have the time or desire to baby sit every app and then re-sell it once it gets thru underwriting.

If Cigna shows up I will get contracted and maybe write some business with the.

For me at least, ignoring Coventry is a blessing. Fewer headaches. If I lose a case or two to them, no big deal.

I can likewise ignore Celtic, GTL and other 2nd/3rd tier players.

Scott is on the money. If eHealth is showing Cigna you better be too.

Ehealth will not sell this for 10% - what their actual contract will be is anyones guess.

I assume at 10% there is a large food chain of district managers, regional managers, GA's - possibly a lot of hands in the cookie jar.

Maybe their prices will be high and this will be a dead issue.

Also do not think for a second low commissions will be catchy if agents push this. Best we can hope is no one sells it at 10% and they "get with the program". If it sells like hot cakes expect other carriers to fall in line.

Last edited:

Another case where agents have a great chance to simply stand their ground and say "no" - which of course be ruined by agents who don't want to shake the tree and moo along with the herd.

Every agent should sent a professional and well written email stating that based on their business expenses they simply cannot turn a fair profit.

Every agent should sent a professional and well written email stating that based on their business expenses they simply cannot turn a fair profit.

Peeler can you write the template for us? LOL!!!

Back