Cold Call Script For Annuities - Feedback Requested

Lord make me fast and accurate...

Attachments

• MelGibson - ThePatriot.jpg
    MelGibson - ThePatriot.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 8
YESTERDAY'S 250 DIAL RESULTS:

172 answering machines (no message left)
36 numbers no good
Total for no contact made = 208 (83%)

Total contacts made = 42 out of which
29 not interested
7 interested in getting info
5 people need to call back

What I learned:
#1. When you ask someone if they are interested, if they are not interested, the response is immediate. If there is pause of a second or two, they are interested but their flight mechanism is still in place. What I did that worked effectively is when the pause came, I say in a humorous tone, "That sounds like you are interested!" This worked and actually got a good laugh out of two people.

#2. My script needs work. One guy actually laughed at me and told me, "That is just ridiculous." He did end up talking to me though. The "so you can enjoy retirement" component doesn't sound right. Also, "can you hear me ok?" didn't sound right and pissed some people off. It was as if people didn't appreciate that I was wasting an extra 10 seconds of their time with a stupid question. I did end up removing it and just streamlining my entire pitch about mid-way through. I will share it later.

#3. All of the advice on the board is correct. If your job or business relies on cold calling, you just need to pick up the phone and start doing it. There is no magic formula or tricks or anything you are going to learn out of a book that is going to make it much easier. You have to pick up the phone and start putting on miles. The more miles under your belt, the more comfortable you will get. It is the only way. I noticed this (crap... I need to get to calling for today... Will continue this post later... Let me know your thoughts on the above results...

YESTERDAY'S 250 DIAL RESULTS:

172 answering machines (no message left)
36 numbers no good
Total for no contact made = 208 (83%)

Total contacts made = 42 out of which
29 not interested
7 interested in getting info
5 people need to call back

What I learned:
#1. When you ask someone if they are interested, if they are not interested, the response is immediate. If there is pause of a second or two, they are interested but their flight mechanism is still in place. What I did that worked effectively is when the pause came, I say in a humorous tone, "That sounds like you are interested!" This worked and actually got a good laugh out of two people.

#2. My script needs work. One guy actually laughed at me and told me, "That is just ridiculous." He did end up talking to me though. The "so you can enjoy retirement" component doesn't sound right. Also, "can you hear me ok?" didn't sound right and pissed some people off. It was as if people didn't appreciate that I was wasting an extra 10 seconds of their time with a stupid question. I did end up removing it and just streamlining my entire pitch about mid-way through. I will share it later.

#3. All of the advice on the board is correct. If your job or business relies on cold calling, you just need to pick up the phone and start doing it. There is no magic formula or tricks or anything you are going to learn out of a book that is going to make it much easier. You have to pick up the phone and start putting on miles. The more miles under your belt, the more comfortable you will get. It is the only way. I noticed this (crap... I need to get to calling for today... Will continue this post later... Let me know your thoughts on the above results...

Are you using a dialer?

How and Why are you getting the info back to the 7?

Why are you calling back the 5.

My guess the 5 could not say "NO" and were being polite.

Good job

Do you have a website, office or anything else that at least alludes to you being legitimate?

TODAY'S 250 DIAL RESULTS:

179 answering machines (no message left)
42 numbers no good
Total for no contact made = 222 (89%)

Total contacts made = 28 out of which
23 not interested
5 interested in getting info
0 people need to call back

- - - - - -

My goal was to get through 250 dials before noon and I would have made it if I was dialing right at 9:00 AM. I am considering another 250 dials around 4-6 since it is a Friday and people generally seem to be in a good mood on Friday. I completely revamped my script and now it is as basic as possible.

What I learned (continued)...

#4. It is all a matter of timing and if someone is currently thinking about whatever you are selling. You are looking for the people that are shocked you are calling because they were just talking about product x. If they are not currently looking for product x, I go for the "would you mind if I send you some information" approach to add them to a drip mailing campaign and will follow-up with another phone call in 3 months.

#5. You have to occupy yourself when calling that is entertaining to fill in the gaps when the phone is ringing. This is critical. If you're mind is sitting idle and all you are doing is waiting for the person to pick up the phone, you will get bored REAL FAST! Here's what I do... set-up a tumblr or pinterest account. These sites are super-cool as you can do an endless web scroll looking at stuff that you find interesting and tagging stuff. This keeps your brain engaged and activated so that when someone actually does pick up, you are alert and probably in a good mood since you have been focusing on stuff you like. This will tremendously help you get through your calls a lot faster and you may even not want to stop!!!

#6. Write some powerful words on the top of your script to keep you in the zone. Here's whats at the top of mine = CONFIDENT * RELAX * SMILE * LOVE * JESUS * ENJOY SUCCESS!!! Look at the words as much as you need.

#7. Be confident, be yourself and love yourself. If you are not confident and believe in what you are selling, people will sense it. Also, if you are not comfortable in your own skin, people will sense that as well. Know that you are a miracle. There has never been anyone like you and there never will be. The Lord created you and loves you just the way you are with all your imperfections and faults.

#8. Your script. Make it as simple as you possibly can with as few words as you possibly can. See lesson #4 and keep that in mind when you are developing your script. Also, practice your script and make sure it sounds totally natural and unscripted. Make sure it sounds conversational, like you talk, and not like a written document.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A for Effort!!!

You sir have more balls than most. Keep it up, and post more lessons as you go, I think this thread has great merit!

Thanks man. I appreciate the encouragement.

Last edited:
#4. It is all a matter of timing and if someone is currently thinking about whatever you are selling. You are looking for the people that are shocked you are calling because they were just talking about product x. If they are not currently looking for product x, I go for the "would you mind if I send you some information" approach to add them to a drip mailing campaign and will follow-up with another phone call in 3 months.

IMO, you just learned the most important thing about cold calling. Forget most the BS about objections. You are looking for the needle in the haystack, stop trying to turn every piece of straw into a needle. The needle already exists, you need to spend as little time with the straw as possible.

Yes, some basic objection handling is ok, like the people who pause when you ask if they are interested and you know they are, but they are afraid to say it. But the people who really aren't interested, great, move on!

I play putt putt when I call. I know a guy who has had success just showing up on their doorstep for the ones that ask for info. They are most likely not going to be expecting you so be able to counter with "in the neighborhood", "so many plans just want to make sure you have the one that is best for you", or the ole "they couldn't find a box big enough for me".....

Are you using a dialer?

No. I am not using a dialer. Here's why with some questions...

1. Caller ID. I think that when people see a completely strange number, they are more likely to not pick-up. When I call from my office, my business name shows up and they can decide whether to pick-up or not based off that. Can dialers be programmed to show your business name? My guess is that they can.

2. Pause Time. My understanding is that when the dialer gets a live person that it transfers the call over and there is a second or two pause before I can talk. Most people know that it is a dialer then and their first impression of you is that you are just dialing for dollars.

3. Logging. I keep track of all my calls in an excel spreadsheet. I know exactly who I have dialed, timeframe, date, result, and it literally takes me absolutely no time to track as I do it during the call or immediately afterwards. The only thing I don't document until I am completely done with calling is my notes for people that are interested in getting information. I write notes during the call and then after I am done calling, I go back into my spreadsheet to document them. This allows me to just keep calling without stopping. My concern with the dialer is that I would somewhat lose control over this system of who is being dialed and when and how many times they are being dialed.

4. Cost. Obviously cost is another factor. I understand that dialers are relatively inexpensive (100-150/month, correct?), but if I am able to do this on my own and I am able to get through pretty heavy volumes by myself, plus the above concerns, I really don't see the need.

Everyone's thoughts and opinions on this are most welcome.
How and Why are you getting the info back to the 7?

Why are you calling back the 5.

My guess the 5 could not say "NO" and were being polite.

Good job

For the 7 people, a more accurate description for these would be "prospects". Using Bill Good's system, here is the prospect scale starting at the bottom:

Info Lead - someone you have made some form of contact with and has at least expressed interest or agreed to receiving information from you. This is always my fallback to get the person to at least agree to receive information.

Green Cherry - someone that has expressed interest but does not meet all the qualification criteria of 1. interest; 2. money; 3. time; and 4. decision-making.

Red Cherry - someone that has expressed interest and meets all the above qualification criteria.

Hot Prospect - a red cherry that is willing to meet with you.

My initial approach in this was to go right for the "Hot Prospect" type and I quickly learned that when you are dealing with annuities, it is nearly impossible to go from being a completely unknown entity to being invited into their home or having them come into the office to discuss annuities. I changed my approach and now I simply am shooting for Green Cherries or at the very least, Info Leads so I can drip and cultivate them up the prospect scale. This is the approach documented in Bill Good's Hot Prospects book.

Regarding what information, I am honestly debating that right now. I could send a simple letter with a brochure. I am also thinking of preparing a very lengthy letter and see which one yields better results. We also have a newsletter I can send as a follow-up. We also have several white papers I can send as a follow-up.

Regarding the 5 callbacks, these are people that I made contact with but not the decisionmaker. I may have talked to a wife or a grandparent that told me to callback at a certain timeframe.
Do you have a website, office or anything else that at least alludes to you being legitimate?

Yes, yes, and yes. :1laugh:
IMO, you just learned the most important thing about cold calling. Forget most the BS about objections. You are looking for the needle in the haystack, stop trying to turn every piece of straw into a needle. The needle already exists, you need to spend as little time with the straw as possible.

Yes, some basic objection handling is ok, like the people who pause when you ask if they are interested and you know they are, but they are afraid to say it. But the people who really aren't interested, great, move on!

Thanks man! I appreciate it.
ANOTHER 250 DIALS TODAY:

178 answering machines (no message left)
45 numbers no good
Total for no contact made = 223 (89%)

Total contacts made = 27 out of which
25 not interested
1 green cherry
1 info lead

Last edited:
Back