Colonial Life Worksite Benefits

Is it true that a medical bridge can help alleviate the raise in health insurance costs? It was explained to me this way, and I planned on using that as my opener in cold calls.

Is it true that a medical bridge can help alleviate the raise in health insurance costs? It was explained to me this way, and I planned on using that as my opener in cold calls.

Sort of. There is some truth in that, but if you don't have experience in the health insurance world to marry with the understanding of their products, it can be rough; you might even do more harm than good.

Yes, you can use the "we're helping people use medical bridge plans to save money on their health insurance" to try to open the door, but you're going to be competing with every other agent doing worksite benefits, including the duck.

This isn't a product people are lining up to buy. If you can get in front of the right people at the right time it certainly has it's place, but again, unless you already have connections, it's unlikely you'll make more than the folks that ask if you'd like fries with that.

Well I currently wait tables... in a decent place.and make decent money. Im currently alot closer to "would you like fries with that" than anything else. I failed miserably at farmers for 3 months. So its eather try this (which has as little risk as possible) or stay where I am forever.

And as far as the health knowledge goes 2 things. I haven't taken it yet but it seems there is plenty of learning and training at colonial. And I see no reason why I couldn't sell group health as well... of course that would be a little while down the road.

Time to lay down some more truth:

It's not either this or stay where you're at forever. Every day you can make a decision to change what you're doing. Colonial will always be looking for agents, it's not now or never for them.

Group health is complicated. It's not something that you can just figure out from scratch and know how to give expert advice to companies. I'm not commenting on your intelligence, but it's just not something folks can walk into. There are a good number of reasons you couldn't sell group health, not the least of which is that the whole industry is turned upside down right now, so it's uncertain how the industry veterans are going to respond. Many of them are already looking for other options.

Free advice from some guy on the internet: Keep doing what you're doing, save up some money and pay off debt if you have any, and wait for a better opportunity. If you're committed to getting into insurance and want to get out of waiting tables you could probably find a job as a producer/csr at something like an Allstate making about the same or less than what you're doing now, but it would give you some experience and leave you better prepared for what the future may hold. They also have a voluntary worksite program that an agent would be thrilled to have you prospect for because it can really help their bonus potential.

A little clarification... it is not now or never for me either. I'm not in a do or die situation. The word "forever" should have been left out of my last post. (Just a lil frusturation and negativity) I am tired of the restaurant industry. It is time to move on. However untill I find something that pays the bills I will be working both jobs. I was going to take a break and come back after a few months, but this opportunity just kind of fell into my lap. I'm interested in the products as they could have greatly benifited my father if he would have had them (dementia at age 58 now in nursing home at 60. He had to many assets for Medicade to young for Medicare. insurance has already stopped paying for home... bla...bla...bla)

Also the possibility to move up to agency training manager (if things go well) is a big draw. I would love to train people, so this interests me very much.
I also have confidence in the dm and will meet the territory manager soon.

However with all of these pros, josh you have placed me on the fence. Is there any others who share Josh's thoughts. The only other objections I have heard were about the splitting of commission... which for now I am not worried about.

I think ill send my dm this thread ans see what she thinks since she is relatively new ish to the company and this position.

As always thanks for your time and knowledge.

A little clarification... it is not now or never for me either. I'm not in a do or die situation. The word "forever" should have been left out of my last post. (Just a lil frusturation and negativity) I am tired of the restaurant industry. It is time to move on. However untill I find something that pays the bills I will be working both jobs. I was going to take a break and come back after a few months, but this opportunity just kind of fell into my lap. I'm interested in the products as they could have greatly benifited my father if he would have had them (dementia at age 58 now in nursing home at 60. He had to many assets for Medicade to young for Medicare. insurance has already stopped paying for home... bla...bla...bla)

Also the possibility to move up to agency training manager (if things go well) is a big draw. I would love to train people, so this interests me very much.
I also have confidence in the dm and will meet the territory manager soon.

However with all of these pros, josh you have placed me on the fence. Is there any others who share Josh's thoughts. The only other objections I have heard were about the splitting of commission... which for now I am not worried about.

I think ill send my dm this thread ans see what she thinks since she is relatively new ish to the company and this position.

As always thanks for your time and knowledge.

I worked for Aflac for about 4 months trying to open accounts which was very hard. The only reason I stayed was the fact there was some big accounts that needed to be serviced. I sold 35 apps after doing a presentation in front of about 75 employees and spent about 3 hours doing it with no paperwork, all done electronically. That was the only great day I had, the others where constantly trying to call on businesses that have heard the Aflac pitch way too many times. I made more money selling Health insurance on the side while servicing some of there groups. Once the servicing is done, it was impossible to keep an income going. I finally singed up a new account with a transmission shop and only 2 employees signed up.

If you have any connections with bigger companies it could be a big pay day. I remember meeting the guy from Aflac that signed up a national account with Rite Aid and walked away with over 3million. He never signed up anybody personally, just got through the big gate keeper with some contacts where he played golf and got a % on every single enrolled Rite Aid employee across the country.

Heys guys first post her. I have been with Colonial for apx 10 years. I have had an ok experience with them. However, I work on the Public Sector side and handle their largest acct. This keeps me from having to make a living just going B2B. If I had had to do that I wouldn't have made it a year. Most new business comes from mom and pop accts. or thru brokers. They are very competitive with AFLAC and other Cos. but it is a tough way to make a living unless you know a lot of friends who own businesses and then it would stiil be tough. I have been a manager with them and I'm back to an agent and I am looking for a better way myself. Good luck with Colonial if you go with them You wruite and they will pay...lol.

Back