Commercial Tire Dealer Bop Question

mbr82769

I have a customer who inherited a tire sales & service business that he worked with his Grandfather in for several years. Grandfather passed away but property that the business garage is on now belongs to an aunt.
Customer (Grandson) now wants to insure the BLDG , BPP, GARAGE KEEPERS, AND GL under his own LLC. Problems I am running into are ,there is a residence on the same deed (auntt's house) with same address but its not in the same building of the auto service business, so ownership has to be whole to insure the building but carriers dont want it on BOP due to private residence being on the land as well. Is there a way to creatively write this on a package or BOP with building included without having the residence on that land void coverage should a claim occur? Thanks

Can you write the aunts house with the same carrier your writing the bop with?

I have a customer who inherited a tire sales & service business that he worked with his Grandfather in for several years. Grandfather passed away but property that the business garage is on now belongs to an aunt. Customer (Grandson) now wants to insure the BLDG , BPP, GARAGE KEEPERS, AND GL under his own LLC. Problems I am running into are ,there is a residence on the same deed (auntt's house) with same address but its not in the same building of the auto service business, so ownership has to be whole to insure the building but carriers dont want it on BOP due to private residence being on the land as well. Is there a way to creatively write this on a package or BOP with building included without having the residence on that land void coverage should a claim occur? Thanks

I think some carriers should have an exclusion form you can toss in that will exclude property and liability on that structure..

I'm in PA and write mostly garage related risks. Might be able to help if needed.

I thought of doing that , having 1 prop / liab policy in the owners name and the garage and liab under the llc of the business owner , but Natiowide wont touch anything with a residence on the deed...not sure about the other carriers if they would exclude or write it some other way.

----------

Thanks , any help is much appreciated. Its "almost" perfect BOP product for Nationwide , but they wont touch it with the residence having the same mailing address. I will check with some of out E & S carriers and see if they would exclude residence , he had all buildings under one blanket with Westfield up until now as the owner (Grandfather)

I write them with Erie and Ohio Casualty who shouldn't have an issue with the home if E&S doesn't work out.

Where in PA are you

Erie can write on the BOP with the tire dealer class and then the dwelling class. I know Nationwide tends to steer away from any habitational (at least on their BOP) Have you asked if they can put it on a CPP?

I write them with Erie and Ohio Casualty who shouldn't have an issue with the home if E&S doesn't work out.

Where in PA are you

Unfortunately not appointed with either at this time but maybe I can go through another broker for those two carriers. but most only offer the E&S.

I am in Shillington Pa 19607. Southeastern Pa.

You should be able to insure just the buildings involved in the operation with most carriers. I the insured wants to also insure the building that the aunt lives in it would be easy to just list her as a named insured as well and just cover everything.

Last edited:
Back