Commission for GI Business

Answering or not answering the health questions when an agent writes an app "Open Enrollment" I believe is a "company" thing. I have been told by some companies that if I write an app OE specifically not to mark the health questions.

I really don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. The policy is going to get issued either way probably just as fast.

Genworth/American Continental says that they'll send the app back if you answer health questions during a GI period. I caught this for the first time writing one of their supps the other day, never noticed it because I haven't written them during oe or gi until this case.

I know that it is in fact a company thing, as you suggested, because I've never had to worry about it with others. I'd mail out the app and sometimes forget to emphasize that they were not to answer health questions, but the policy got issued anyway.

Last edited:
Genworth/American Continental says that they'll send the app back if you answer health questions during a GI period. I caught this for the first time writing one of their supps the other day, never noticed it because I haven't written them during oe or gi until this case.

I know that it is in fact a company thing, as you suggested, because I've never had to worry about it with others. I'd mail out the app and sometimes forget to emphasize that they were not to answer health questions, but the policy got issued anyway.

you mean Aetna right? Genworth sold that block.

So let's see, you put the client at risk if something comes back regarding their health, that they didn't tell you about. Maybe the person doing the phone interview let's it slip that they are GI. So you lie and say that they are not in a GI situation, all to make an extra $125.00. So by putting them in this situation, you risk losing a client that could have easily made you $10,000 over 25 years not including the refferals that you would have gotten because you were a faithful, diligent, friendly, insurance agent that maintained a relationship with him/her, and they love you so much they get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about your service to them.

So let's say you sent an app to ABC Insurance Company, that obviously has the best rates, because you have said that you ALWAYS sell the carrier with the best rate. So let's say they turn the guy down for one reason or the other, will he/she get to re-submit an app to that same company GI? If not, won't THEY have to pay more with another carrier because you choose to be greedy, and not do what was BEST for the client? If they qualify for GI, don't they have the right to use it? If you explained this to the client, and told them you wold make more money by THEM having to answer health questions would THEY agree to do it if they knew they didn't have to?Just curious!!

Sounds reasonable to me..

Last edited:
Yea, it's Aetna all right, but it's just a little confusing to refer to the American Continental Product as Aetna right now, considering I do their Under 65 AARP and Over 65 Medicare and have for some time, but thank you for telling me what I already know.

It's still American Continental just as it was when Genworth owned it.

Aetna has sent out letter to all policy holders in the last couple of weeks telling them that they are now the owners. That's fine, but I wish they had given a heads up to the agents that they were sending letters and even a copy would have been nice.

They have become my go to company for med sups now that UoO, {and their followers}, and Family Life took such big rate increases this year. I've written two AmCon med sups already this week.. Replaced a FL with one, replaced an UoO with another.

I like doing business with AmCon. I wish they had better rates on their FE. I would use them all the time if their rates were more competitive.

I don't like Aetna. I hope it's only a change in name only as the AmCon people say it will be. We'll see.

So let's see, you put the client at risk if something comes back regarding their health, that they didn't tell you about. Maybe the person doing the phone interview let's it slip that they are GI. So you lie and say that they are not in a GI situation, all to make an extra $125.00. So by putting them in this situation, you risk losing a client that could have easily made you $10,000 over 25 years not including the refferals that you would have gotten because you were a faithful, diligent, friendly, insurance agent that maintained a relationship with him/her, and they love you so much they get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about your service to them.

So let's say you sent an app to ABC Insurance Company, that obviously has the best rates, because you have said that you ALWAYS sell the carrier with the best rate. So let's say they turn the guy down for one reason or the other, will he/she get to re-submit an app to that same company GI? If not, won't THEY have to pay more with another carrier because you choose to be greedy, and not do what was BEST for the client? If they qualify for GI, don't they have the right to use it? If you explained this to the client, and told them you wold make more money by THEM having to answer health questions would THEY agree to do it if they knew they didn't have to?Just curious!!

Since they are GI, must the insurer accept them?

Yea, it's Aetna all right, but it's just a little confusing to refer to the American Continental Product as Aetna right now, considering I do their Under 65 AARP and Over 65 Medicare and have for some time, but thank you for telling me what I already know.

yeah, you're definitely confused. thanks for clearing up what I already knew was already going on there! :D

I called MOO. I asked them what if I had my GI issue customer answer all health questions and she is in excellent health----will they pay me full commissions. They told me "no".

I could not tell if they were just annoyed that I would ask that question or if that was the only answer.

Do you know, Frank? Anyone?

Thanks

I called MOO and got the same answer.
I also asked MOO this:
I have someone who has a G and it is a guaranteed issue for
California for his birthday month. I want to write him with a different company on an F cuz that's what he wants. I asked
MOO about this as the man DOES have to answer health questions for the F---MOO said I get full first year commissions if I upgrade him from external.

Huh?

You answer health questions. Send to ABC Company. They kick it back ... say "No".

So, you can take the same app ... fill in the box indicating GI ...send it back to ABC Company ...and they take it?:goofy:

Sounds like you suffer from the same problem Bill has... mass confusion.. :laugh:

Back