Commission Over-Riders, Being Captive

tkessler007

The dark side of this industry, has to be commission over-rides, and trapping agents to be captive. It is one of the first things in this forum, that new agents, are told to avoid. Sadly, these deceptive practices are allowed in the industry, professional, productive, successful people do not need, or use these. Someone thinking they are entitled to 50% of the commission, just by referring an agent to a carrier, in my opinion, might be someone you want to stay clear of. To clean up this deception, All the carriers could stop this, just buy not allowing it. Of coarse, opinions are like a holes, everyone has one.

The dark side of this industry, has to be commission over-rides, and trapping agents to be captive. It is one of the first things in this forum, that new agents, are told to avoid. Sadly, these deceptive practices are allowed in the industry, professional, productive, successful people do not need, or use these. Someone thinking they are entitled to 50% of the commission, just by referring an agent to a carrier, in my opinion, might be someone you want to stay clear of. To clean up this deception, All the carriers could stop this, just buy not allowing it. Of coarse, opinions are like a holes, everyone has one.

You're right everybody has one. Over rides are legit if support and training are provided. 20-30 points I think is fair if an agent needs hand holding.

You realize it's the companies that designed it that way don't you? But the guy in the middle shouldn't be a worthless lump.

As long as the agents go with up lines that release they are fine. It's the non-release clauses that companies use that is the real problem.

Carriers save money by leaving the recruiting of producing agents to a few IMOs, otherwise they would not do it. There is no dark side to commission overrides.. It has existed since the advent of the beginning of the industry. Even the truly captive companies like the debit companies pay an override to the managers. Surely any prospective agent has sense enough to know the guy attempting to recruit him is not doing it out of the kindness of his heart so it is hardly deceptive.

ok, I'll try not to be so negative in this post Mr Bond. Why are you so worried about overrides? When I got into this business and was told I was going to start at 110% commission with no proof of ever having wrote an app, I thought that was the greatest thing since sliced bread! Who cares what your up-line is making if they are treating you right and earning your business.

Pick one of the IMOs that have been recommended here and just go to work and stop worrying about all the other stuff. You keep trying to find a way to make it not work. Try seeing the glass half full for a while...

I think there are pro's and con's. If your upline provides good training/info/help, ...great. If they don't and they just get in the way and make $.... I think that is wrong. I don't think the system is necessarily bad, just tends to get used the wrong way by some.

When I came into this business I did it ALL wrong. Was sold a bill of goods that wasn't true (by agents and IMO's) and so I've seen both sides of it. I would have loved to found some agents that could train and mentor me and help me be successful... would have gladly given up some commission % for that.

ok, I'll try not to be so negative in this post Mr Bond. Why are you so worried about overrides? When I got into this business and was told I was going to start at 110% commission with no proof of ever having wrote an app, I thought that was the greatest thing since sliced bread! Who cares what your up-line is making if they are treating you right and earning your business.

Pick one of the IMOs that have been recommended here and just go to work and stop worrying about all the other stuff. You keep trying to find a way to make it not work. Try seeing the glass half full for a while...

You and Newby have said it. As long as they earn your business. If you need a lot they should get more, if you need less they should get less.

I am pretty happy with most of my uplines.

You and Newby have said it. As long as they earn your business. If you need a lot they should get more, if you need less they should get less.

I am pretty happy with most of my uplines.

Me too.. If I need something I call and they take care of it.. Otherwise, they leave me alone and I never hear from them. :yes:

You are all IMO kiss asses and liars.

IMOs should not receive overwrites to cover their cost and time for training or supplying leads and support.

They certainly should not receive an overwrite because they are stuck with your debit balance should you default.

The ones who do not give an immediate release suck because they spent months training you and getting you up to speed by funding leads. They should just let you walk to the next place now that you are seasoned so you can get that extra commission split from a guy that doesn't have to do anything from you.

Back