Company put insurance on wrong vehicle

Todd Rawlings

I’ve had a really bad situation occur. I have seven cars on my insurance. I only carry liability on all but one. A while back I added comprehensive to my 1969 Corvette. It is by far the most valuable vehicle I own. Recently it was vandalized. I called to report a claim and I was told I didn’t have comprehensive on it. I explained that it is the only one that does. The nice lady told me the only one with comprehensive is my 1996 Camaro. My guess is, there was confusion between the 1969 and 1996. I understand it was stupid on my part, I did not review the documents as I should have. I asked if the conversation was recorded and was told they only keep those for 30 days. Of all the cars I own the Camaro is the least valuable and the last one I would want comprehensive on. I have been with this company for 29 years. I feel certain this is hopeless but I thought I’d see if anyone knew some sort of way to fix it.

Do you have ANY email where you asked for the coverage? How long ago did you ask for coverage and the vandalism occurred? Your only recourse would be if the agent goes to bat for you and says agency error or is willing to take a hit on his E&O but you would probably lose on that one because the document trail is in his favor.

ALL communications with my agent take place via email. Your best bet is to argue rescission, that this was a mutual mistake...the insurer added the coverage to the wrong vehicle and you failed to identify that error.

BTW, 1969 is my favorite Corvette model. I had a chance back in the 70s to buy a mint condition one for $3,500 and the deal fell through.

I’ve had a really bad situation occur. I have seven cars on my insurance. I only carry liability on all but one. A while back I added comprehensive to my 1969 Corvette. It is by far the most valuable vehicle I own. Recently it was vandalized. I called to report a claim and I was told I didn’t have comprehensive on it. I explained that it is the only one that does. The nice lady told me the only one with comprehensive is my 1996 Camaro. My guess is, there was confusion between the 1969 and 1996. I understand it was stupid on my part, I did not review the documents as I should have. I asked if the conversation was recorded and was told they only keep those for 30 days. Of all the cars I own the Camaro is the least valuable and the last one I would want comprehensive on. I have been with this company for 29 years. I feel certain this is hopeless but I thought I’d see if anyone knew some sort of way to fix it.
Somebody must really not like you if they vandalized a 69 Vette. :sad:

@Todd Rawlings my perspective/opinion is dependent on a few factors...

1. When did the change happen?
2. How was the agent notified... i.e. phone call, stop in, email etc?
3. Was an option to add uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD) ever discussed?
4. By any chance do you have an appraisal of the vehicle?

This doesn't mean you are going to finagle a check out of this, but before weighing in I wanted more facts.

Do you have ANY email where you asked for the coverage? How long ago did you ask for coverage and the vandalism occurred? Your only recourse would be if the agent goes to bat for you and says agency error or is willing to take a hit on his E&O but you would probably lose on that one because the document trail is in his favor.

No email
February. It was garaged stored at a shop. I brought it home so I wanted the additional coverage.
The damage was done two weeks ago.
My insurance is with Geico so unfortunately the person I talked to wasn’t my local agent.

Back