Contract Attorney-- Michigan

Chi81

Does anyone have leads on a good contract attorney licensed in Michigan? I was a captive agent for a company in Michigan who is not paying vested renewal commissions like they are supposed to. I am wondering what my options are and if its possible to sue them for breach of contract. I am hoping to find someone who has experience working with independent insurance agents.

Thank you in advance for any help!

I'm sorry, but I read "was" as though you are no longer associated with the carrier. I've never heard of an agent receiving commissions from a carrier he/she is no longer appointed with, especially a captive carrier. Most would assign to servicing agent or keep in-house.

I am wondering what my options are

What does your contract say about commissions after you've left the company?

if its possible to sue them for breach of contract.

Sure, it's possible. People and businesses sue for breach of contract all the time.

Was that really the question you wanted to ask.

I am hoping to find someone who has experience working with independent insurance agents.

Not really necessary. Any contracts or business attorney can handle it.

I was vested and supposed to receive 50% commissions for life provided I didn't violate my non compete, which I did not. I also have this in writing in the form of a signed contract. I am hoping to find a reference for a good attorney.

I was vested and supposed to receive 50% commissions for life provided I didn't violate my non compete, which I did not. I also have this in writing in the form of a signed contract. I am hoping to find a reference for a good attorney.

Did the amount drop below their minimum or something?

Plus, are you sure you were not vested in renewal commissions, not in the service fees? Service fees tend to be paid to the servicing agent. New & renewal commissions paid to the writing agent.

IE: If 1st year new & maybe renewals for an additional 6 or 9 policy years & years 10+ on a policy are service fees

So sorry to hear about your situation with the company not paying what they owe you—it's incredibly frustrating when things don't go as they should. When I was dealing with a similar issue a while back, I found that having a good contract attorney by my side made all the difference.

Back