Difference Between MA and Med Sup

The AARP Medigap plan is community rated here and generally not competitive. Agents that are appointed by them here rarely place business with them.

Thanks everyone for the help and information. You've given me good ideas and plenty of questions to ask..I really appreciate the help, everyone is great.
Mike

What do you currently have for medical coverage? If you have group coverage you really don't need a medicare supplement or medicare advantage, your group coverage would be considered your medicare supplement.

Also, if you're income and savings is below a certain amount than you may be able to get help from Social Security on your prescription drug coverage. If you and your wife are making less than, I think it's $1,800 or $1,900 a month and if your savings is below $25,260 than you should contact your local social security office and let them know you'd like to apply for assistance on your prescription drugs, they'll also let you know if you qualify for any other programs that are out there.

In Indiana and Kentucky, United Healthcare starts out much higher than any other company on Medicare Supplements. Plus on top of that, they claim they are giving a discount which is taken away little by little over 10 years.

So if there is ANY truth to the claim that they have lower increases, it's very misleading since removing a portion of the "discount" each year is actually a 2nd increase in addition to the age increase and when you combine that with their rate is WAY too high to start with = bad choice.

I don't know what system they use in IN and KY, but in most states they are actually community or issue age rated, it's just that their discount that "wears off 3% per year" confuses the issue. So I suppose you could say the disappearing discount IS the age increase. Except it tops out at either 71 or 75 depending on when they came into the plan.

I don't know what system they use in IN and KY, but in most states they are actually community or issue age rated, it's just that their discount that "wears off 3% per year" confuses the issue. So I suppose you could say the disappearing discount IS the age increase. Except it tops out at either 71 or 75 depending on when they came into the plan.

And they start out at 60 to 70% higher here to begin with and it's not a good deal anyway you look at it. Plus, you would be putting someone with UHC. Might as well team up with Humana if you are going to get in bed with the debil.

Plus you have to "white-out" the AARP logos off all the forms and brochures or half the seniors will throw you out before you get started anyway.

Why doesn't United Health Care offer Non-AARP branded versions.

In Mi age 65 Plan F is right around 126 both male or female, doesn't matter what zip code Their Plan N is $80 a month...their not 60-70% higher than other companies, in my state anyways....it looks like the same rates in KY JD Easy, how is that 60-70% higher, I know you don't like Humana but you shouldn't lump UHC med supps in with the debil

Last edited:
They do offer non-AARP med supps. They were previously under the Secure Horizons brand but for 2012 they are rebranding everything UnitedHealthcare. I read something about the UHC branded med supps would not be available to sell for ICAs and [something else I don't recall, possibly the FMO channel?].

As for rates, in Michigan UHC/AARP has been the price leader for T65 males (unisex rates) as well as just about anyone 78+. Now with MoO and affiliated companies' recent Price-Hike-O-Rama, UHC will become the leader for even more ages.

In Mi age 65 Plan F is right around 126 both male or female, doesn't matter what zip code Their Plan N is $80 a month...their not 60-70% higher than other companies, in my state anyways....it looks like the same rates in KY JD Easy, how is that 60-70% higher, I know you don't like Humana but you shouldn't lump UHC med supps in with the debil

I run into 65 year olds all the time that are paying about $175/mo. for plan F. with AARP. I can put in a plan F for about $100/mo. That works out to over 70% by my math.

I don't have any AARP or UHC rate books as I won't sell any of their stuff. They are lumped in with Humana because they are exactly like Humana. They are the enemy of the independent agent.

I'm not going to voluntarily get into bed with the debil.

I had gone to their website and used a random KY zip code and it gave me the same rates as MI rates, 126 for F and 80 for N. Granted, these are the modernized med supps. For those that are still under the old med supp plans with AARP, they are paying quite abit more.

I don't know what the deal is with AARP, either people really like them or they really hate them, their doesn't seem to be a grey area with that company

Latest posts

Back