Direct Mail isn't for everybody

If this had been strictly a cold list, those numbers would be highly unusual. These people had actually been mailed, and did remember the piece, just had not responded, so I don't want to take credit for being a phone wiz, off of this list.

I do cold call regularly and make sales. I don't use a script, I sort of call and talk to them like they want to hear from me: Hey, good morning, I'm Jack Black, here in Bethune. I wanted to follow up with you about Medicare, Life Insurance, etc. to see if you'd like to review plans/prices?

Sometimes, the timing is so good, that they'll actually respond to me like "oh yes, I do want to talk to you". Those type usually become successful appointments. Other times, they realize I'm pulling their leg with the "following up" line and tell me to fork off.
Oh, I still cold call. Just not on the phone. I often hit the “house next door” etc. When I got past my “broke season” I ran leads, but still cold knocked those doors beside the lead. I don’t run leads anymore, though (except I keep aged leads in my car for when I’ve got a little free time). I keep pretty busy just servicing my book these days, and mostly supplement that with calling on orphan policyholders that I get from a couple of companies. But I’ll never totally stop cold calling. Keeps me humble!

Back