Direct mail FE cost

$36 in most areas.

Where is your “neck of the woods” ?

Scott I’ve always wondered how can rgi charge $36 ( in many areas rgi charges the Imo $45 to $55 ). The simple answer is they heavily target serial responders those you get a heavy dose of duplicate leads weekly .Mailing’s not rocket science . Lead concepts , lead connections ,need a lead , rgi all use the same data . I fig it costs a mail house $350-$375/1000 cost to mail which includes the data . Very few areas of the country drawing over 1% on a true verbiage fe card . So cost is $35 to $37 a lead even in good areas . Now of course since your making 20% plus overrides you could be eating some of the cost to keep prices level . There’s been 2 postage increases the past yr and another 5.5% July 10th and I don’t recall you raising your rates much so maybe your eating it .

Scott I’ve always wondered how can rgi charge $36 ( in many areas rgi charges the Imo $45 to $55 ). The simple answer is they heavily target serial responders those you get a heavy dose of duplicate leads weekly .Mailing’s not rocket science . Lead concepts , lead connections ,need a lead , rgi all use the same data . I fig it costs a mail house $350-$375/1000 cost to mail which includes the data . Very few areas of the country drawing over 1% on a true verbiage fe card . So cost is $35 to $37 a lead even in good areas . Now of course since your making 20% plus overrides you could be eating some of the cost to keep prices level . There’s been 2 postage increases the past yr and another 5.5% July 10th and I don’t recall you raising your rates much so maybe your eating it .

Where do you see this postage increase in July?

And FEX is not subsidizing leads. In fact, a very small percentage of FEX agents use RGI.

I just took a look outside. The sky is still up there.

Where do you see this postage increase in July?

And FEX is not subsidizing leads. In fact, a very small percentage of FEX agents use RGI.

I just took a look outside. The sky is still up there.

10th the United States Postal Service (USPS) filed their proposed mid-year price changes with the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC).These proposed rates will be the second increase of the year and are set to take place at midnight on July 9, 2023.

Most notably, the price of a first-class stamp will raise by 3 cents, but there don’t appear to be as many changes as there have been in past price increases.

Here is a quick look at some of the prices that will be changing which will have an impact on LetterStream customers:

• First Class Mail going up from $0.63 to $0.66
  • International Rates going up from $1.45 to $1.50
  • First-class postcards going up from $0.63 to $0.66

What’s everybody paying for fresh direct mail these days? In my neck of the woods, it’s $55 a pop.

What state are you in ?

What is the age filter ?
What is the income filter ?
What does the card say,does it say life insurance?
What are the returns like on a per thousand order ?

Might be good to discuss with a reputable vendor like Lead Connections.

Jd I know several top FEX agents . And yes some stopped using rgi because of the constant duplicates . Jd your near the end of your career so it’s irrelevant what happens .But guys just starting out now need to start mixing in social media or Facebook leads so their not totally dependent on dm . No the sky’s not falling and I 100% use dm right now . But I also know I need to start mastering other types of Leads . I know dm leads in many areas in the $50-$60 range . At $60-$80 a lead dm no longer is feasible for agents starting out . Jd you say you do $250 k plus on 15 leads a week . I bet 30% plus of your business is no cost referrals. I wrote 10 mapd and 5 life off referrals last month . That cost zero

Jd I know several top FEX agents . And yes some stopped using rgi because of the constant duplicates . Jd you’re near the end of your career so it’s irrelevant what happens .But guys just starting out now need to start mixing in social media or Facebook leads so they’renot totally dependent on dm . No the sky’s not falling and I 100% use dm right now . But I also know I need to start mastering other types of Leads . I know dm leads in many areas in the $50-$60 range . At $60-$80 a lead dm no longer is feasible for agents starting out . Jd you say you do $250 k plus on 15 leads a week . I bet 30% plus of your business is no cost referrals. I wrote 10 mapd and 5 life off referrals last month . That cost zero

I do get a lot of referrals. I couldn’t give a percentage because I don’t track minutia.

Never have. I ever tracked dials, DK’s, no shows, etc. I just work.

I’ve never heard any agent, FEX or otherwise, say they stopped using RGI or any other lead vendor because of duplicates.

Every lead vendor or IMO I’ve been with over 20 years has duplicates. It’s the very nature of the business.

I have always heard of agents whining about duplicates on their way out of the business.

One of the first sign of an agent on their way out is tinkering with the leads. Whether it’s narrowing the age band down to 65-72, women only, the income filter, etc.

When they start that I tell them to save themselves a lot of stress and money and turn off the leads and look for another career.

And even when they filter to the finest point they still get duplicates.

Duplicates that didn’t buy don’t bother me at all. Maybe the timing just wasn’t right before? Maybe it is this time? Or better yet, maybe they bought from someone else?

The current clients that send in another card are a bit annoying. But many times they are ready to add on. Or even better, maybe they added on with someone else. Now I get to correct that.

And while you are correct that I am winding down, this is not a new mindset.

I’m still learning this business. An agent said something on a case study that was played on our call last Friday that I had not heard before. I’m going to use it.

Agents new and old have to keep up and adapt. I use very few paper apps now. I would say as soon as a couple years we won’t be using paper at all.

Almost everyone is instant decision now. I’m looking forward to KSKJ’s new product. Many agents are dreading it. We’ll see who’s right.

Don you’re just simply make a lot of wild assumptions that are not correct. We use four different mail houses. The prices on any of them average out to about $36 for a regular Final Expense lead card. There are few areas that do not do that well, but they are the exception.
I agree with you RGI will always mail to people who have responded before. But the proof is in the pudding. I have agents who have been on a standing weekly lead order with RGI for over 400 weeks now. Even though they have plenty of other options, including Internet Leads and Facebook Leads. We have all sorts of leads. Many agents still prefer what has worked well for them year after year after year.

I don’t try to overthink it the way you are doing. You were doing the whole paralysis by analysis that is common. You’re afraid of what might happen rather than experiencing what really is happening.

Last edited:
Back