DM Leads: Real Numbers

I would look strongly at Security National if you haven't already done so. Their rates are competitive for CA, they are easy to work with, and they have a lead credit program that can really help you with your lead costs. Last bit of advice from a fellow new guy is don't throw away your lead cards. A few weeks ago I hit a lull in leads coming in. I went back through my file of maybes, no shows, and call me back laters and ended up pulling three apps that week. Guys that are running 40+ leads and killing it don't have to go that route. Guys in our position do.

^^^^ This, 100%.

I believe Bob Staup is the regional manager for all of CA for Security National Life.

He would be a great guy to work with, he knows CA well and has several other agents there in CA who do well.

^^^^ This, 100%.

I believe Bob Staup is the regional manager for all of CA for Security National Life.

He would be a great guy to work with, he knows CA well and has several other agents there in CA who do well.

Yea Bob is a good guy. Me and him walked for hours to find. Hard Rock in Thailand. I would have paid $1000 for that steak and sweet tea......i wasn't gonna eat blood soup like Doug lol.

I've read a lot of threads about DM leads on here. The story goes like this: Order 20 DM's leads. Get appointments with about 10 of these. Write about 3-4 cases from 10 appointments. Average about $1,400 - $2,000 AP from these sales. That's a monthly premium of $40-60 per case. Well at this point, I've worked 200 DM leads and here are my actual numbers 200 leads = 16 life insurance cases sold. Average premium about $30/mo or $360 AP. My experience has been: Majority fall into one of these categories: -Can't reach by calling or DK'ing -ever -Can't afford to do "nuffin right now" -Thought it was free-not interested in paying- ie. they're broke. -Already taken care of. -Crazy cat lady whose house stinks like cat piss and she doesn't have a checking account. -Some have many weeks of consideration and phone calls -finally pull the trigger on $19/mo premium - then gets declined. -Sold by someone else (how they got my lead info, I still don't know). -Constant game playing of "later, later, not now, but later" aka "kick the can" -Doesn't speak English -Hardcore tweeker/drug addict. Just wanted to share this with anybody thinking about getting into the game. I've spent thousands on leads and may have broken even or eeked out a small profit. Now bring on the comments about how I suck at selling, yada, yada... I may not be the best at life insurance sales, but I'm not the worst either. Every single lead I have made multiple attempts to book appointments and/or close sales. I've driven countless miles and been in some "homes" that, in all honestly, should be condemned. Point is, I've worked these leads diligently and thoroughly. Finally, I'm not a newby. I've been selling life insurance in some capacity for 8 years. So I've been around a bit, and I'm not brand-new at this. I'm personable, professional, well-spoken, and prepared. So good luck to anyone who is considering getting into FE. I just wanted to share this so you have one more piece of information to take into consideration. Perhaps your experience will be better than mine. Either way, good luck.
You have 2 problems. Your presentation & your leads.

I've been working on a FE internet lead for awhile now for my agents & we've had pretty good success with them. To me they're better than direct mail but that's just my personal opinion. Message me with your state & county's you work in & I'll generate a weeks worth for ya for free. Write them with your current IMO. If you like them we can talk more.

Will also send you a recording of our #1 agent presenting. It will change your game. FE isn't as complicated as some on the forums make it out to be.

Last edited:
Attached is a copy of all 200 leads that I received and the notes I kept. They are color coded so I can organize them.
A RED lead indicates that it is dead - no money, no need, no "want"
A Yellow lead indicates that they were kicking the can in some way, but not yet dead.
A green lead indicates a sale.
The other colors were for leads that didn't have a phone number and I had to go and knock on their doors.

Again - the only reason i'm sharing this is so other agents can see actual results. True, I'm not the best life insurance agent. At the same time, I've written life insurance policies that have $20,000 annual premiums - so I have some experience at this business.

Take it for what it's worth...

Attachments

• Copy of Lead Organizer - Sheet1.pdf
    100.7 KB · Views: 54
Attached is a copy of all 200 leads that I received and the notes I kept. They are color coded so I can organize them.
A Yellow lead indicates that they were kicking the can in some way, but not yet dead.
The other colors were for leads that didn't have a phone number and I had to go and knock on their doors.

Again - the only reason i'm sharing this is so other agents can see actual results. True, I'm not the best life insurance agent. At the same time, I've written life insurance policies that have $20,000 annual premiums - so I have some experience at this business.

Thanks, for posting the excel sheet. Really gives insight to what some of us are jumping into.

Attached is a copy of all 200 leads that I received and the notes I kept. They are color coded so I can organize them. A RED lead indicates that it is dead - no money, no need, no "want" A Yellow lead indicates that they were kicking the can in some way, but not yet dead. A green lead indicates a sale. The other colors were for leads that didn't have a phone number and I had to go and knock on their doors. Again - the only reason i'm sharing this is so other agents can see actual results. True, I'm not the best life insurance agent. At the same time, I've written life insurance policies that have $20,000 annual premiums - so I have some experience at this business. Take it for what it's worth...

Being able to sell middle class people does not translate over to selling lifelong poor people. It's two completely different skill sets.

I've been very successful selling middle class on up with preneed funeral insurance for a long time. But I'm no where near top of the game with poor (FE) people. Fortunately my business partner is as good as you can get at that.

No shame with either one. It just is what it is. I may have had your same results before I had years of coaching. Now I can make money off any FE leads. But great FE agents can take 20 direct mail leads and write $4,000 consistently.

You have to realize that poor people are poor for a reason. And it's pretty counterintuitive to agents who have always sold to more financially functional people. They are definitely impulse buyers and not real rational. They will lie through their teeth to blow you off and get rid of you.

You really need to go under someone that really is good at this and let them train you. And there are all sorts of agencies that will do it without you giving up any commission at all. I'm biased our agency of course but there are others active on the forum also. But the worst thing you can do is think you can do it on your own and not learn from people who already are at the top of their game.

A 20k annual premium is not the FE market. If that is your background, then that might be why you need FE training. FE is a different animal and takes great training to learn, which you've shown here you are not willing to listen to.

For any new agent reading...FE is a tough gig, but if you are coachable and have money to start up, you can do it. Just make sure you get with someone that can REALLY train you. If you call them they answer, not someone at their office or they call you back in a week.

No offense, but I'm the one doing well in the final expense industry and you are the one that isn't.

I hate to inform you but it isn't ALL about price. Is it a pivotal part? Yes, of course. But, as you don't seem to care and know all, by all means continue your successful ways.

LMAO this gif was so funny to me.

As soon as you can move the yellow into the red....the yellows dont exist in FE. When you leave with no app, they are dead.

Back