Do I Have to Put Every Single Doctor Visit on My Application?

There is a reason why HIPAA (and even COBRA) are expensive. The only ones who go that route are those who cannot qualify otherwise.

That , in a nut shell is one of the HUGE questions with obamer's plan, costs for those with pre existing cond is HUGE.

There is a reason why HIPAA (and even COBRA) are expensive. The only ones who go that route are those who cannot qualify otherwise.

I don't know this guy, but it seems that, if starting a business were a viable alternative he would have done that long before COBRA expires. Based on what he posted, he is uninsurable except in GI states and those with open enrollment.

He can go the risk pool route, if available.

He can also go HIPAA.

As to whether he can afford any of those options, well, that is the $64,000 question.

And to Ron00, you don't need to put a reason. A letter is not even necessary with most carriers. You simply call and cancel.

And no, it won't hurt you to cancel the app.

Why would I be uninsurable? I don't have any serious conditions.

I guess Al never got the memo about HIPAA plans . . .

What a really lousy thing to post. OK. Fine. Let's go. I'll play.

I assumed that his agent already suggested the (usually financially prohibitive) HIPAA route... which is a logical inference... because I'm assuming his agent is better at this biz than I've seen you to be these past few years... which is another logical inference.

Two can play this game, Somarco and I can play it just as well as you can... if not better. You want to go another round? Or do you want to call it even and we'll both back off?

No wrong answer.

Al

Why would I be uninsurable? I don't have any serious conditions.

Two things jump out at me, and they will an underwriter as well.

It appears you go to the doc for almost anything that comes along. These kind of policyholders are considered repeat offenders. They use the plan over and over to the point of making it unprofitable to issue coverage at any price.

You didn't mention the meds you take, but some of the conditions can be quite expensive to treat. Dry eye, if you take Restasis, is $150 per month. Allergy treatment is another area that can be expensive if using prescription meds and/or shots.

The herniated discs will result in a rider, if you live in a rider state.

Rotator cuff is surgery waiting to happen. That's another rider.

We are up to 4 conditions already. Most carriers use 3 strikes and you are out. Ridered policies can be a bit more liberal.

You have had inguinal hernia repair twice. An underwriter will naturally assume a third is a possibility for the future.

Cholesterol, while in check now, could lead to medication in the future.

A carrier will look at your history and consider you a basket case. Rather than go through the motions and expense of underwriting, ordering doc records, trying to price out a policy and placing riders on almost every body part then fighting you over any future claims they will simply say no.

Much less problem for them. Easier to say no than yes with a bunch of conditions.

Two things jump out at me, and they will an underwriter as well.

It appears you go to the doc for almost anything that comes along. These kind of policyholders are considered repeat offenders. They use the plan over and over to the point of making it unprofitable to issue coverage at any price.

You didn't mention the meds you take, but some of the conditions can be quite expensive to treat. Dry eye, if you take Restasis, is $150 per month. Allergy treatment is another area that can be expensive if using prescription meds and/or shots.

The herniated discs will result in a rider, if you live in a rider state.

Rotator cuff is surgery waiting to happen. That's another rider.

We are up to 4 conditions already. Most carriers use 3 strikes and you are out. Ridered policies can be a bit more liberal.

You have had inguinal hernia repair twice. An underwriter will naturally assume a third is a possibility for the future.

Cholesterol, while in check now, could lead to medication in the future.

A carrier will look at your history and consider you a basket case. Rather than go through the motions and expense of underwriting, ordering doc records, trying to price out a policy and placing riders on almost every body part then fighting you over any future claims they will simply say no.

Much less problem for them. Easier to say no than yes with a bunch of conditions.

I see what you're saying. Although I don't go to the doc for everything that comes up, I've just been unfortunate with my health, despite the fact that I take care of myself.

The discs aren't herniated, they are bulging. But I understand the underwriter might not see it that way.

What route would you suggest then? Hippa?

The agent I was using had also suggested Aetna for an individual policy as well, as he felt that they are not as strict in their underwriting, and would not not put riders on anything...they would just rate it up and it would cost more.

Back