Do I Have to Put Every Single Doctor Visit on My Application?

So the temp plans will count to avoid the 63-day gap from cobra to group? That was my concern, I wasn't sure if a 'temp' plan counted towards that. (Since, in reality, the temp plan isn't really covering pre-ex conditions).

As for Aetna, another poster on this thread seemed to think Aetna will be a decline based on my pre-ex conditions.

For group insurance purposes, individual health plans do not count as creditable coverage.

At least , that is what Humana told me yesterday.

Group carriers do decide if they will accept the prior coverage as creditable or not. As someone with AIM told me several months ago, no carrier has ever challenged our certificate of creditable coverage so we feel justified in stating AIM is creditable coverage.

Right . . .

Beyond that, the states also have a say in the matter. Some states indicate STM is not creditable while others do say it is creditable. Absent a regulation or law stating specifically what is and is not creditable coverage, the carrier is free to make their own determination.

I don't know if FL defines creditable coverage or not, and if so, if STM is given their blessing. Even if the law is mute on STM, if a carrier refuses to accept STM as creditable coverage the OP is back where he started.

Group carriers do decide if they will accept the prior coverage as creditable or not. As someone with AIM told me several months ago, no carrier has ever challenged our certificate of creditable coverage so we feel justified in stating AIM is creditable coverage.

Right . . .

Beyond that, the states also have a say in the matter. Some states indicate STM is not creditable while others do say it is creditable. Absent a regulation or law stating specifically what is and is not creditable coverage, the carrier is free to make their own determination.

I don't know if FL defines creditable coverage or not, and if so, if STM is given their blessing. Even if the law is mute on STM, if a carrier refuses to accept STM as creditable coverage the OP is back where he started.

And to further complicate the matter, I'm in the process of looking for a position all over the country. So there's really no guarantee that I'll end up in a state that says my temp plan is creditiable coverage. So I'd say I'm out of options and basically screwed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
For group insurance purposes, individual health plans do not count as creditable coverage.

At least , that is what Humana told me yesterday.

This is directly from the dept. of labor website, so I'm not sure why Humana would tell you that:

How do I avoid a 63-day significant break in health coverage?
There are several ways:
  • If a spouse has coverage in a health plan that allows family members to join, you may want to enroll. (See the FAQs on Special Enrollment.)
  • If your last coverage was in a group health plan, you may want to sign up for COBRA continuation coverage. While you (and your family members, if they were also part of your prior plan) will have to pay for this temporary coverage, COBRA can prevent or reduce a break in coverage. (Learn more about COBRA.)
  • You can buy an individual health insurance policy if you think you would otherwise have a break of 63 days or more.
  • Some states have high-risk pools for people who cannot otherwise get health benefits. Your state insurance commissioner's office can tell you if such a pool exists where you live.

Last edited:
Back