Does any good dental plan cover inplants

I read the Manhattan brochure to say there is a $1,500 lifetime max on implants.

I had a client email because they were unhappy, They had the plan for 3 years and just found out the plan did not cover implants

I did a chat with the company and they confirmed they do not cover implants

I did not see that on the brochure I did try and look before I contacted them but very busy today so I might have missed it

However both client had an issue and the company was very quick to say its not covered

Delta Clear Plus Plan has fixed levels of coverage and a list of the cost of each. No waiting period. Implant is about $2850 to the insured. Basically about half off the retail.
Plans run $46-50 per month for adults. They have a lock in to pay for a whole year or owe the money paid by Delta to the dentist back. Good for one major procedure per category per plan year. Exceptions: Unlimited tooth extractions and fillings. Otherwise one of each category, like root canals, other major work. One lower plate, or one upper plate. It has worked for a few clients. A plan for a child needing 8 teeth pulled for orthodontia saved a ton of money. Cost about $26/month. It's really not going to be great unless the person can truly afford implants, and only if they need one. Also, there are charges for office visits, $60. It's not a PPO, and the dentist has to be in specified Delta networks. It has worked for some people who neglected their teeth and need a lot pulled, then some denture or bridge work. There is no limit on the dollar amount Delta will pay, only procedure limits. Individual dental would have to cost a lot more to cover implants and the person would be paying ahead for some time, almost like Christmas club, put in money, take it out again.

Last edited:
The plans that do allow waiver of waiting periods for prior coverage may have different requirements.

(the following comment is what I remember from 3 years ago, I have not taken the time to check it out for sure.)
As a for instance, back when I had the three plans, BCBSKS looked for coverage that included Major Services that had been in force for 12 months prior to the effective date of the BCBS coverage. (They might have allowed a 30 day gap in coverage, I don't remember for sure.)

Delta Dental KS only looked for 30-90 days of prior coverage. ( I don't remember the exact number of days, I also don't remember if they also allowed for a 30 day gap.)

I think I have been told Aetna has a prior coverage waiver. You might take a look at their plans for premiums, networks, implant coverage, major service waiting periods, and their requirements to waive the waiting periods. As a non-agent I can't get any Aetna info without going through an agent.
Aetna has no waiting period Major, Manhattan has awaiting period onMajor if a dentist has documented that you need work done. If you haven't seen a dentist...no waiting period. Both have a $1,500 lifetime max on implants.

Sam's company, NCD has a $5,000 and a $10,000 plan that covers implants. If they were covered by a group plan, NCD will waive the waiting period. If they waive the waiting period, you don't get paid.

I had a client email because they were unhappy, They had the plan for 3 years and just found out the plan did not cover implants

I did not see that on the brochure I did try and look before I contacted them but very busy today so I might have missed it

However both client had an issue and the company was very quick to say its not covered
I didn't know until I called and asked a couple of years ago. They cover implants on the Select plan, but a $1,500 lifetime max. That won't make much of a dent in 1 implant.

They very well could be. I suspect your groups and the coverage they are willing to afford are significantly different from my work experiences.

Excellent point. I am in the business-owner marketplace and while they are HNW, the cost of group health insurance for everyone has gone through the roof. I look at my own group costs every year and it's gotten completely out of hand. It's gotten to the point where I budget for a 25% increase every year, just so I can have some #'s to work with. One year it came in at 6% and I was happy as can be. The next year it was 31% and we were not happy at all, LOL. Then again, high class problems, LOL.

I was getting ready to respond and then noticed goillini's post. Manhattan has two plans, the select plan does offer the coverage being discussed.

Back