Some good dental plans for family’s ?

Most of them are horrible. With very few exceptions, it's less expensive to just pay out of pocket. If they have kids they are worried about orthodontia, don't bother paying the premium. And unless you can plan on your major service 2 years out, it's not worth the premium either.

UHO just got rid of waiting periods but the coverage you get immediately still stinks compared to premium. I just don't think they are worth it.

The key with dental insurance is you've got to use the preventative portion a few times per year. Then it's very much worth it. Most cover cleanings and other preventative treatments at 100%, or very close to it. Then, if anything goes bad, you'll have at least a few thousand in coverage. But I do agree that dental insurance does need to improve. In my opinion, no policy should cover a penny less than $5,000 in total benefits.

The whole reason that there could never be a really good individual dental insurance plan is because of adverse selection. Too many people would game the system. Everyone that needed dental work would buy a dental plan, get the work done, then cancel the plan.
Most plans that cover 2-cleanings and a set of x-rays each year cost about the same as paying for 2-cleanings and a set of X-rays. Because people don’t buy dental coverage if they aren’t going to use them.
In the old days, adding pregnancy coverage to your individual health plan was the same way. It was expensive to add. Because no one added it unless they were trying to start a family.

The whole reason that there could never be a really good individual dental insurance plan is because of adverse selection. Too many people would game the system. Everyone that needed dental work would buy a dental plan, get the work done, then cancel the plan.
Most plans that cover 2-cleanings and a set of x-rays each year cost about the same as paying for 2-cleanings and a set of X-rays. Because people don’t buy dental coverage if they aren’t going to use them.
In the old days, adding pregnancy coverage to your individual health plan was the same way. It was expensive to add. Because no one added it unless they were trying to start a family.

No different than Obama care . Low income people jump on the month before they need $50-$100k of surgery . Are there very sick and go to the dr all the time and use many rx’s.I’m sure some CO’s taking a beating on that and will be pulling out of area’s . Or the gov’t must become very strict with sep’s.Thats being abused by agents like crazy

I agree with all of this and would add, dentists don't have the same peer oversight that medical doctors do, so there would be lots of opportunity for the provider to game the system as well.

Typically, a patient will just take their dentists word that they need filling, root canal, crown, etc if insurance will cover it. If there is a big out of pocket cost, the dentist may convince you it's needed but usually it will trigger the patient to get a second opinion and the provider loses out on the "sale"

No different than Obama care . Low income people jump on the month before they need $50-$100k of surgery . Are there very sick and go to the dr all the time and use many rx’s.I’m sure some CO’s taking a beating on that and will be pulling out of area’s . Or the gov’t must become very strict with sep’s.Thats being abused by agents like crazy
Yes but it's very different because you don't know when you are going to have a heart attack, stroke, broken leg, etc. So millions of people pay their health insurance premium every month that do not have an expensive medical bill right away.
There are exactly 0.00 people that choose to buy individual dental insurance that don't go to the dentist.

Yes but it's very different because you don't know when you are going to have a heart attack, stroke, broken leg, etc. So millions of people pay their health insurance premium every month that do not have an expensive medical bill right away.
There are exactly 0.00 people that choose to buy individual dental insurance that don't go to the dentist.

That’s correct but there’s millions of people that have dental ins and only use for cleanings and preventative X-rays . I know tons of people on group dental that rarely use . My friend had for 20 yrs and never went . My kids growing up would miss a few yrs . Hell I’d miss a yr here and there

That’s correct but there’s millions of people that have dental ins and only use for cleanings and preventative X-rays . I know tons of people on group dental that rarely use . My friend had for 20 yrs and never went . My kids growing up would miss a few yrs . Hell I’d miss a yr here and there
That’s why I’m specifying Individual Dental Plans. Where someone proactively seeked out and pays for the coverage.
Group dental plans can work because some people who have it won’t use it.

Back