E&O Ethics Question - Open to All Agents

Is it ethical to spend 10 minutes completing a three hour ethics course?

• Total voters
Is it ethical to spend only 10 minutes completing a three hour ethics course?
A course required for your state license.

Honestly, I spend my CE credits on the same stuff every cycle. I essentially skip to the end and take the test.

AHIP I literally jump to the quizzes, don't write down the questions and answers, and then go to the exam.

If really want to take CEs seriously, provide updates.

Id say its unethical for the state to allow that loophole in the first place. The state approves the courses and method of study and method of exam taking.

If they legally allow it, how is it unethical?

And the purpose of those courses are to further your knowledge. If you already have the knowledge, then are you hurting anyone?

Is it ethical to spend only 10 minutes completing a three hour ethics course?
A course required for your state license.

Good question. Maybe, maybe not. I bust through those things as fast as I can, and I challenge you to find anyone who would ever accuse me of being unethical.

The funny thing is, that I'll never try to cheat, overcharge, or in any way screw my clients, or anyone for that matter. So, the funny thing is, when it comes to my CE, I get through all the courses pretty fast, because it asks me about things I am familiar with. When I get to ethics, I have a lot of trouble, because it will ask me to name the ethical violation or law that I am violating or applying to a sort of ethics violation or crime. I don't violate ethics or commit crimes, so I have no idea whether some of this stuff is twisting, fraud, a violation of the whatever-whatever act of whenever-whenever. So, consistently, every two years on my CE, the ethics course takes me the longest.

3 hours by what standard? If I read and comprehend and pass the quiz so I can move to the next section, who sets the time limit? If I complete all of the sections and quizzes under the 3 hour limit have I cheated? If I score 100% and complete in 10 minutes have I cheated? School Stardardized tests give 3 hours to complete. Same situation applies. Who cares if you score at 100%

3 hours by what standard? If I read and comprehend and pass the quiz so I can move to the next section, who sets the time limit? If I complete all of the sections and quizzes under the 3 hour limit have I cheated? If I score 100% and complete in 10 minutes have I cheated? School Stardardized tests give 3 hours to complete. Same situation applies. Who cares if you score at 100%

im-a-little-better-than-everyone-else-here-eric-cartman.gif

Agreed. The "hour based" model is very antiquated at this point. Back then, the only option was in person classes, so you had to have that much seat time. Now, we just take online classes that are the "equivalent" of that.

I remember doing CE in my early days in a classroom. Thought it was a HUGE waste of time. A 5 page pdf could have done the job instead of 3 hours in a classroom.

Last edited:
Agreed. The "hour based" model is very antiquated at this point. Back then, the only option was in person classes, so you had to have that much seat time. Now, we just take online classes that are the "equivalent" of that.

I remember doing CE in my early days in a classroom. Thought it was a HUGE waste of time. A 5 page pdf could have done the job instead of 3 hours in a classroom.
In Illinois, it was required that you sit in a classroom for 3 hours. Now you can attend a class online for 3 hours. They ask a question now and then to make sure you're there. No test and no score on either one. A waste of time.

In Illinois, it was required that you sit in a classroom for 3 hours. Now you can attend a class online for 3 hours. They ask a question now and then to make sure you're there. No test and no score on either one. A waste of time.

We used to be able to skim through the online class. Now it is timed. But its not hour for hour. A 3 hour course takes around 15-30 min to complete on webce.

Back