Envelopes Hand Written Verse Labels

Insuranceman

Guru
100+ Post Club
Does anyone know the what the percentage of people open letters that have hand written addresses on envelopes verse labels? I have about 2,000 letters to get out and I'm dreading the idea of having to write out 2,000 addresses.

Re: Envelopes Hand Written Verse Lables

Most people will open it either way.....whether they bother looking at it or not is another story.

Does anyone know the what the percentage of people open letters that have hand written addresses on envelopes verse labels? I have about 2,000 letters to get out and I'm dreading the idea of having to write out 2,000 addresses.

I don't have hard numbers on this and it certainly depends on what you're mailing, but I can tell you that I'm more likely to open a letter or package with a handwritten address.

Occasionally, I mail an application with a return envelope to someone that I think is really interested, but needs a nudge on buying life insurance. The results have been excellent.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you mailing? I like direct mail and have experimented with it to some degree, but I have someone to handle addressing and mailing etc., so it doesn't take up too much of my time.

CLick here to download a font that looks like your hand writing.

Here is a great hand writing font that you can use. If you want to make it look like you wrote something by hand, use this font.

To Install:

Go to:

Control Panel
Fonts
File
Install new font

This is a great tool, thanks! I downloaded it and it installed just as you said and it looks great!

My experience is that letters that look professional, something you are proud to send out, have the highest open rates.

For me, handwritten addresses have pretty low open rates unless the person knows who it is from. This might be geographical based, but when people I've asked about this, they automatically know it is junk mail when there is no return address, it is computerized handwritten address, etc.

My direct mail piece envelopes look more like a bill than an advertisment. I even use window envelopes, and then meter the envelope (rather than stamping). I have a pretty good open rate.

I know I'm the minority opinion here, but I think the handwritten letter worked well years ago, but has really dwindled in the impact since few people actually mail letters anymore. I guess that does indicate it might be different for different markets.

For high open rates, do something unusual. Last piece of obvious junk mail I opened came in a clear envelope. You could see through it, though you had to really open it to understand what it was about. It was obviously from Comcast, but it had a lot of intrigue. Be creative.

Dan

CLick here to download a font that looks like your hand writing.

Here is a great hand writing font that you can use. If you want to make it look like you wrote something by hand, use this font.

To Install:

Go to:

Control Panel
Fonts
File
Install new font

Mark, that was terrific. Thanks for posting!

I'd try 1000 hand addressed and 1000 labels and track the response rates.

a couple very successful direct mail copy writers I've read claim hand addressed is better ??? Demographics will play a part I'm sure. We're very rural here and my hand addressed pull 2 to 1 over labels almost every time.

This is a great tool, thanks! I downloaded it and it installed just as you said and it looks great!

For a jillion different "handwritten" fonts you can download (as well as many others), click here.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I'd try 1000 hand addressed and 1000 labels and track the response rates.

Only way to know for sure.

Last edited:

100% agree that labels are the wrong way to go. I don't know why, but these are almost always junk mail.

Print directly on the envelope, don't use labels.

Dan

Back